Is there a correct "embouchure?"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Vstern, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Vstern

Vstern New Friend

Jul 25, 2010
    Is there a "correct" embouchure?

I've paid attention to my technique in regards to not tensing, relaxing my tongue, and using the lips more. However, I've noticed that I can form three different embouchures: one feels like a "happy" face, another neutral, and the final like a "sad" face. Which should I use? (They probably don't look different, but they feel that way.)

I'm not very sure which I'm using, because I don't feel much effort until near the end of 3 hours of marching band practice (we do 1-2 run-throughs at the end). I am playing with a relaxed tongue, with my lips working, but I don't "feel the burn" until we're doing run-throughs.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Re: Is there a "correct" embouchure?

Vstern asks:
    I've noticed that I can form three different embouchures: one feels like a "happy" face, another neutral, and the final like a "sad" face. Which should I use?
    ------
    Do you sound really good? Do people pay to hear you? Can you play for hours?
    If it works for you, great!
    As for me I generally have one way of playing (squished M) until I get to the stratosphere. For a period of time I did maintained the same embrochure for both registers but I found it more to my way of doing things to change the embrochure around "G" above the staff IF I'm going to go higher.