Is there a dr. in the house?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hey_Pauly, Dec 3, 2011.

  1. Hey_Pauly

    Hey_Pauly New Friend

    Dec 17, 2010
    A quick question for any of the trumpet playing doctors in the house.

    About 16 years ago I had a collapsed left lung. Sometimes after I practice my trumpet I feel some discomfort on the left side of my chest, especially after blowing hard. I'm not sure if I am just being neurotic or do I need to take it easy?


  2. TrumpetMD

    TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

    Oct 22, 2008
    This is a very good question. But it's a is tough one to address online or in general terms. I would talk this over with your physician, because the answer depends on an assessment of your overall health and a review of your medical history.

    For those who are looking for additional information, a collapsed lung is also called a pneumothorax. The lung is sort of a balloon encased inside an outer sac. The lung collapses when air improperly enters the space between the lung and this outer sac. This can occur through a hole in the lung or a hole in the outer sac. It can result from trauma, such as a broken rib. It's also more common in people with certain medical conditions, people who are tall and thin, and in smokers (tobacco as well as recreational drugs).

  3. Hey_Pauly

    Hey_Pauly New Friend

    Dec 17, 2010
    Thanks for the advice.

    Come to think of it, I can't see how blowing on my trumpet could hurt anything. I remember when I was in the hospital being treated for the collapsed lung they gave me this plastic tube with a ping pong ball in it to blow into as part of my rehabilitation.
  4. patkins

    patkins Forte User

    Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    It could be related to a diaphragm issue when you had the pneumothorax. I used to be a runner and would get left side pain which I found out was common. In your case yo need to see a pulmonologist to make sure there is not some type of pathology, i.e. diaphragm hernia, or hemiparalysis.
    I'd take care of my health.
  5. rowuk

    rowuk Moderator Staff Member

    Jun 18, 2006
    Please, let's keep the medicinal advice in perspective. We have highly qualified members - that just like with trumpet playing problems really do need to see you to offer the right perspective.

    The danger is with the poster that "assumes" to understand and does not get checked up locally. Questions like this really should be standard for the patient / doctor relationship - not for casual internet connections.

    We very often recommend a real teacher for trumpet problems. Trumpet MD made it very clear that your physician is your target audience.

    I am concerned because of your answer "Come to think of it, I can't see how blowing on my trumpet could hurt anything.". Sounds to me like the great advice has already been ignored. This happens a lot with trumpet questions where life and death are a bit further apart. Please, go do the right thing!
  6. Ed Lee

    Ed Lee Utimate User

    Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I won't describe it, but I've had a lung collapse that was immediately restored by surgeons, and I had a prior long history of smoking tobacco as was unrelated. Read my other posts for my more current pulmonary problems and health issues. While I am again attempting to restore as much of my former playing capability as I can, I now remain under the contnued care of doctors in several specialties ... specifically to include a pulmonologist. It just ain't anything to consider trivially.
  7. kingtrumpet

    kingtrumpet Utimate User

    Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    at least the OP didn't go to his local auto shop and ask that question.
  8. lmf

    lmf Forte User

    May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    If the pain persists, you should see a doctor and seek the cause. It is one thing to discuss a problem on TM, but a potential medical problem should be discussed "one-on-one" with a medical doctor. What you are suggesting happened to you when you were playing may not be serious, but it likely that it could be. Only a doctor who reviews your medical history and your present health condition should be the person to correctly advise you. I believe that is the responsible and safe thing to do for your own sense of well-being and your overall health concerns.

    Best wishes,

  9. Ed Lee

    Ed Lee Utimate User

    Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    + 100 to TrumpetMD and LMF responses. Make appointment with your medical doctor(s) ASAP!

Share This Page