is there a right way?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tarter_trpt8, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Hey Manny,

I've written lots of posts about tonguing since I saw this site...why? Because it is the weakest part of my playing and ONE of the only things preventing me from reaching new levels in my ability to excell at the trumpet.

I had a lesson yesterday with Doc Norris and he hasn't been able to pin point why my tongue speed is slow. He simply says, "All you have to say is 'too' and keep your air full and big and let it happen." That's a summary of what he always says. Sounds easy enough right? Well, for me it's not that easy. When I tongue slowly the sound I want is there and the "attack" I want is there...the moment I speed up the tongue everything goes downhill. We found out yesterday (because I thought about it) that the tip of my tongue hits my bottom lip when I tongue. He told me that I must anchor tongue and that I will need to train my tongue to tongue up top in my mouth where the gum hits the teeth. This feels very foreign to me and puts me in a state of frustration and discouragement right now.

Sorry for such a long post but I'm wondering if Doc's advice is valid in changing where I place my tongue when I articulate or does it really matter? Is there a right way? I'm willing to be patient I'm just confused at what to do...thanks for your time and help Manny...It's priceless!

Jeremy

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear Jeremy,

Certainly, Phil's advice to you is very valid. there's any number of fine players historical and present day, who employ/ed this method. Now, if you do what the good doctor has recommended in the past, using "too", perhaps that would work as well.

"But I have been doing that!"

No, you haven't.

"Yes, I have!"

No you haven't.

"YES, I HAVE!"

Want to bet?

Say the word "too" and touch your tongue to your bottom lip as you say it.

Now, say the number 2. Different sounds, right? That's what I mean. I believe you thought that you were doing what was asked of you but I think you need to think the number 2 for better mental clarity.

So, before you go to the so-called anchor tongue, give the "too' method a shot. I repeat, there's nothing wrong with the other way. I'm just suggesting that you give Dr. Norris' initial advice another try before you make a big switch. Otherwise, if you find no difference, give the anchor tongue a fair shot.

ML

3. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    I have been going through the same problem over the last year or so. I also discovered that what I do is anchor tonuging, but i hadnt realized it, ever.

I experimented with switching, but i couldnt get the same sound or front with it after all these years of using the other way.

Do you have the Gekker articulation book? If so, read the first few pages a few times and do the "One minute drill".

If you dont have it, I will tell you what it says, or what I do at least:
    I started out at about 70 bpm (you can start wherever it feels etremely comfortable for one solid minute) for at least 2 minutes on a middle g using a legato atucluation
    Gradually increase the metronome every week or so 2 clicks.
    I started expanging away from the g after a minute, going to c, e, g, and low c.

Now i do at least 5 minutes a day of just sixteenth notes. Right now I have it set at 100 bpm. My speed has gone up incredibly. It is still not where I want it, but it has come a long way.

Some days I go psycho and do it like 15 minutes! hehe.

Just do it every day, and focus on what makes it the easiest and the smallest amount of movement that creates the sound you want.

Recently I have started using the clarkes for atriculation also, after i slur them, I slur 2 tongue 2, then tongue them all while still playing pp.

I could type more, but I need to go practice more, good luck!

4. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Josh,

Have you tried doing the Clarkes in groupings of two? Doing that while making sure you don’t “grab†the end of the second note works well for getting mixing flow study type concepts with articulation.

Jeremy

The only right way is the way that sounds the best. ;-)