Is there a Trumpet magazine/periodical??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SteveB, Jan 16, 2009.

1. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    For sure check out ITG!

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Interesting observation. I think that the popularity of the guitar and keyboard has more to do with them being "volksinstruments". With just a bit of practice, you can get by with accompaniment. The issue changes when you want to play melodies.

The trumpet has the disadvantage that the sound is generated by our lips that really were not designed for that function. In addition there is a noise factor in the beginning that can't be ignored.

I don't recommend "elite" teachers. Decent local players can be very usefull in getting the most out of an instrument!.

3. bill benzon

bill benzon Pianissimo User

Sep 14, 2008
    Jersey City
    I certainly don't know the history of instrument-oriented music magazines, but I do know that the ascendancy of the guitar dates to the early 60s and the rise of rock and roll. There's a very interesting graph on p. 278 of Philip Ennis, The Seventh Stream: The Emergence of Rocknroll in American Popular Music which shows sales of guitars, pianos, and "other instruments" from 1950 to 1971. Piano sales are roughly constant through that period, "other instruments" goes up a bit, but guitar sales increase roughly nine-fold during the middle and late 60s. During the second half of the 19th century and into the first quarter or so of the 20th there was a brass-band movement in Europe and North America. All those band shells in American towns were built for brass bands. Every community had brass bands, and many companies had brass bands as well. This was major "volkmusik."

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  4. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    Now, if George Harrison and John Lennon had only walked out onto stage with a Martin Committee and an Olds Mendez, instead of Gretsch and Rickenbacher guitars, who knows where the popularity would've gone . . . . :D :D

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    In the early 20th century almost every household had a piano.

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Yes, I've been living with that for 40 years. But what can we do about it because we are just as much at fault as anybody.

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    It appears that we trumpeters, as good or as bad as we are, know more than "The Great Unwashed"? :dontknow: Is a guitar player in any way related to a viola plucker, do you think? :roll:

8. jongorrie

jongorrie Pianissimo User

May 9, 2010
    To answer this original post (albeit a bit late, and providing it is ok with the trumpetmaster moderators) I'd like to tell you about an online magazine for brass players that you might find interesting.

BrassMusician.com is an online magazine for brass players, by brass players. Anyone is free to submit an article, which is first moderated, and then published on the site.

Feel free to check it out: BrassMusician.com

All the best!

9. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    ITG Journal is my favorite.

10. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Be careful with Windplayer ,I had ordered my renewal on line,they took my money but I never received my subscription,they ignored all my e-mails and never gave me a straight answer over the phone.This happened almost two years ago.I did pursue this for a full year.