Is there a wrong way to hold the horn?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BustedChops, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    [​IMG]

2. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    Now we need a PSA-style pamphlet with diagrams of things you shouldn't do with a trumpet, including using it to club other people, as a wheel chock, or as the base of a lamp.

3. whyit

whyit New Friend

Aug 12, 2012
    Corona CA
    Also, I think putting the bell to your face is the wrong way to hold a trumpet.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Don't know 'bout that, were I performing at a rioting gig, as when it comes to a fight to protect myself, I fight by the updated Marquis of Queensbury Rules, viz without ropes around the ring anything goes ... bottles or instruments included. Such ssems like a good time for tear gas to be deployed by law enforcement intervention.

They weren't that bad when I was gigging, but there were wire cages in front of many stages ... one of the reasons I decided to quit gigging ... the other being that the pay wasn't that much.

5. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I was wondering when somebody would go there. I can stop now, thanks Whyit:lol::roll::oops:

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Of course you left out the footnote to this diagram... This does not apply to the Olds Ambassador, in which case you can pick that sucker up anyway you want... can even use a forklift.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Man, I hope Kingtrumpet reads this post. Could be a life changing revolation for the old boy.

8. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    However the hell you are comfortable and can play. Lawd knows I've seen guys and gals hold their horns in all manner of ways, chiefly at an angle. Some had the "classic" hold with fingertips on the valves and thumb tip against the 1st valve casing. Others, like myself wrap both hands around the unlucky horn and press the valves with our whole fingers.
    Sometimes it's so intuitive that we never even notice these things but do "what works". To such a school do I belong.
    I've had few complaints, and those chiefly on account of my "obsolete"choice of horns.
    Another story, for another time...l