Is there an Orthodox Technique - or is this always the Wrong Question?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sethoflagos, Jan 25, 2014.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This advice is still just fine. Those who make it to the end, are pretty fine players. As a conservatory method, Arban was designed for professional guidance, not so much self help
    Actually, those really in the know do not challenge the basic concepts. Granted, there were not very many lead trumpet players in 1850, but even today, my experience is that more lead players are born rather than made.......
    Actually, there are two camps: silver bullet and hard work. Both camps have their success stories, but the second one has more consistent results AND is not very metaphysical.
    Good for you!
    Even if a day ends not so good, that does not mean that there is nothing that we can carry into the next. The important part is that we identify what we can change, what we can't and then go do the right thing. Character counts, so even major setbacks do not need to comprimise our very being. Maintaining character even when times are not so good often makes us a beacon - for others as well as ourselves. When I am emotionally wasted, my trumpet always gets me back to a better state.

2. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    Claude Gordon has even updated the Arban , so even the Arban itself acknowledges that much has been learned since the days it was penned . It is still a valuable tool never the less but by no means the Godspell of trumpet playing. I think you can do much worse than listening to Claude Gordon about trumpet playing.

3. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    'Lead players' is an interesting choice of phrase. But leaving that aside, I don't suppose there's a handy little list of those undisputed 'basic concepts' out there somewhere?

Silver bullets are for killing werewolves and I don't think we get them in Nigeria. There are also two camps of hard work: a fulfilling journey towards a distant objective, and :bash:. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference. Few roadsigns.

Amen. The hardships we have endured shape us positively far more than our successes.

4. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
  5. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Sounds, I have one. Don't use it. I'm stuck with the Carl Fischer page numbers, and the Vizzuti book's printing is harder to read.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I can read it just fine, Richard.

7. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
  8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I'm orthodox to the point of using the pre-CG version...;-)

[​IMG]

9. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Although the mouthpiece is fairly modern unless my eyes decieve

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    It is, but I got shed of it (southern speak). The cornet is modern, too, for whatever that's worth. And it has only one trigger...:lol: