Is there an Orthodox Technique - or is this always the Wrong Question?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sethoflagos, Jan 25, 2014.

1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    To continue to develop. And I don't think he "thought he had The One True Path" either. I don't know how you are coming to that conclusion.

I was in a small group of trumpet students at Univ of North Texas gathered by Claude to look over and comment on his "Systematic Approach" that was still in manuscript. I got the impression that he was putting something down that would be a one-source (sort of) method for growth. I got no impression that he was dogmatic.

Additionally, he seems, like all great teachers, to have tailored his private lessons to his students, something you just can't do in a printed volume. In which case, you have to have some insight into the fundamentals of his approach and then apply common sense.

2. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    I formed that impression from the linked page ...

" The core of Claude’s teaching philosophy was the fundamentals, known as “The Seven Basic Items.” The assertion that there is only one correct way to play was in regards to these seven items."

Seems pretty unambiguous, but I certainly don't want argue with anyone having direct and different experience of the man.

3. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt on that one. One interesting thing I found when I was sorting out my double-tonguing was all the talk on TM (and particularly the other site) about KTM. Spent an age trying to work out what the difference was until it dawned on me that KTM was what I did anyway. I'd certainly never been 'taught' it as such, never even heard of it, it's just something I must have slipped into while I was a kid. In fact when I dug out my old photo as an 11 or 12 year old (my avatar), and looking at it now I'd probably already had my last real lesson on technique, but decent enough posture, mouth corners tense and down, trumpet a touch low - it's pretty much the same set-up that carried me through until my mid-thirties when I stopped playing regularly. It worked for the various ensembles I got the opportunity to play in so there never seemed much point in analysing what I was actually doing. If it works, don't fix it.

But what do you do when the old "Arban-style" ram-the-horn-in-your-face-for-the-high-stuff stops working. Completely. Point of this thread really.

As things turn out, I seem to have stumbled into Gordon's method by accident. Reading through the summary, the only real difference is my hands grew too wide for the left-hand grip, so I adopted the same grip as Maurice Murphy. Everything else pretty spot on.

Pity e-copies of his complete method aren't available. Wouldn't want to accidentally pick up any bad habits........

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    One thing that sometimes helps is to go through a phase of playing more melodies than exercises. A Hymnbook, a collection of folk songs etc. allow us to use our technique in a useful way, namely, making music. All that good hard work we've done on technique gets moved to the cellar, and the action of making music is at the top.

Worth a try anyway, and fun, too.

5. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    David of the White Rock, Arethusa, Down Ampney and the chorale from Lutoslawski's concerto for orchestra in all keys. Teach them neighbours to keep noisy dogs in their compound :play:

6. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    This happened at my house this morning, and it was a welcome and refreshing change of pace. Seems like a few tunes sounded better than the last time I tried to play them.