Is there such a thing as tonguing too longly

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bachstradivarius, Mar 20, 2013.

1. bachstradivarius

bachstradivarius New Friend

Sep 27, 2012
    KY
    What I mean is for years I was taught to use the "Da" syllable when playing and from my observations that may be actually inhibiting my playing a bit. So I was wondering if there was a such a thing as tongueing too longly. Thanks (This is for general playing that is, not legato playing)

2. Juarez-MA

Juarez-MA Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2012
    We couldn't be for sure without listening to you.
    It sounds like just might have a delayed attack.
    My youngest trumpet student is having similar issue: A good clear tongue sounds like he is smacking the note; so student is using a half "da" tongue and half huffing out a "bu" (like "boo"). It doesn't sound bad but the attack is too rounded and not clear/crisp enough.
    Try doing more of a "too" tongue.

3. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    I've been accused of tonguing too longingly.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The "da" tounging style isn't appropriate for all playing. In many instances, a "ta" or "to" style is better, especially for faster, more energetic music.

5. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    You can. I've been "accused" of stopping air between the notes and I think it's just that my big, fat, slow tongue separated the notes too much.

6. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    I would say that the da tounging is for more relaxed ballad type of playing, and is one of many types of tounging styles.
    The most accepted and common style is the TA or TO depending on teacher, try this for a while keeping in mind that a light or soft approach is needed.
    You may find that it will become harsh or messy after a while when playing quicker tempos.....that will sort its self out after while if you practice diligently starting slowly ensuring a clean attack and gather speed when things feel right for you.
    You seem to be on the right track if you have self analysed your playing..if so ..well done

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    When I was in college I recorded myself playing lead in the jazz band. I heard these little tiny cracked notes when I was trying to accent a passage ... so I asked my instructor. He said I was tonguing too hard. He said if I want punch then use more air. So from my experience you can use either method as long as you can get out of the way of the air. It's also how and how much you practice tonguing. If you want more speed well the using a metronome and practicing the Arbans or Clarke studies are a tried and true method to achieve impovement. Just changing the syllable probably won't yield the results you seem to be looking for.