Is this a normal process?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by msodasoccer51, Dec 3, 2008.

1. msodasoccer51

msodasoccer51 New Friend

Sep 1, 2008
    I have been playing trumpet for roughly 2 1/2 years. Now I am a freshman in high school and are playing second trumpet. I can play the first music but there are a bunch of good seniors this year, so seniority gets it. I have a concern though. For about 4 months I will be great, my lips will be in great condition. I can usually during that period, get a solid Eb above staff. Then for about 1 1/2 months, my lips suck. I have trouble with range, and my endurance is less. I get a weird extra buzz when I go anything below a staff G. It's a process I go through every so often and then it gets better, but it's just something I want so other trumpet players opinions on. As a sidenote, I am playing on an Yamaha 11B4, but am thinking about switching to a Vincent Bach 7c so I can get a better, rich, dark tone for symphonic band now that marching season is over. I was wondering if that is a bad idea.:-)

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    at your age it's not unusual for your chops to be inconsistant. How about a good private teacher?

3. eliajaz

eliajaz New Friend

Nov 30, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    I agree, it can be fixed though. One thing to keep in mind is practice technique everyday, and very consistently. Just because you are a freshmen it doesn't mean your not at the top of the ranks, maybe just lack of experience? or commitment?

I am not saying you are either, but dome musical directors will assume this. So show what you got and get the lead!

4. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Get a private good teacher. If you tell us what city or area you reside somebody here will know a teacher to recommend.

In my teaching and personal experience I've found most problems like yours to be air related. The chops are a symptom.

5. JRFIII

JRFIII Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2008
    New Jersey
    I'd follow the advice given and get some time with a teacher if you can afford it.

I'm a comback player after some 15 years off. Something you mentioned sounds very familiar to me. Something that happened when I was a young player and when I first came back.

The cycle and what you reported were happening to me.

What I found out I was doing was spending too much time playing in the upper register to increase my upper register range and tone, and was ignoring practicing long-tone exercises at the bottom of the range. So when I had to play below E (in my case) below the staff I had to really struggle to reset my embouchure and get good results.

Once I concentrated more on the long-tone studies not only did my lower range improve but my strength, endurance and control in the upper range benefitted greatly.

Get a teacher to observe and counsel you if you can. But it was through reading other posts here that the light bulb went off for me and I changed my warm-up and practice methods, as I cannot afford lessons at this time. (Three kids in college at once...!)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  6. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA

Exactly!!! Good advice here and from everyone else!! :thumbsup:

7. msodasoccer51

msodasoccer51 New Friend

Sep 1, 2008
    thanks, i know of a great trumpet player in my area who gives lessons, so i will talk to him. thanks alot and i will take into mind all of your comments. once again thanks a million.