Is this as bad of an idea I think it is?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Apr 18, 2011.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    How can that process POSSIBLY be good? :dontknow: The speed, for a start, means that there is NO control of the process, nor control of temperature build-up due to friction - the piston will expand at a different rate to the casing (different materials) and the clearance will change - meaning the 'depth of cut' will change. :-(

Also of concern to me is that there is no apparent attempt to find the cause of the restriction, and WHY would anyone think of putting the valve in both ends of the casing :dontknow:. Typically a piston will wear the cylinder (valve casing) more at the top than the bottom due to side loads - I can't imagine any long term good can come of this. :shhh:

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    kind of makes me mad ... some poor kid somewhere is going to screw up his horn.
    Did you notice the line "see all that black gunk" .. gunk? it's all metel filings!!!

3. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I've used it on a couple of horns. The stuff works great!

4. ewanmains

ewanmains Piano User

Jun 9, 2009
    Kilmarnock, UK
    Looks just like cutting compound/valve seat lapping paste for cars to me. All you're doing is 'lapping' the valves in, but in a non-specific process that if used improperly could completely wreck the casing/valve as TedH describes.

The whole 'put the valve in upside down' technique, I must admit I have used before. But only with a valve which was stuck. I needed to lap the valve in an extreme situation where some metal grit had worked it's way into a casing and ground itself into the valve. It did work, but it's not something I would like to repeat in a hurry.

This is not something I would use or condone on a 'normal' valve, i.e. one that had no issues and I would always consult a proper tech first of all.

:-)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  5. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    "put it in, and turn".....Oh God!!!!

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    No thank you.

Look at difficult time he has putting the pistons back in, from the top and bottom.

And least least 50 - 60 times, what happenes if you lose count and get only, say, 47 times. Or even 63 times?

Oh the humanity!

7. mineo50

mineo50 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2011
    Barstow, CA
    +1-- I get the quote, but perhaps in this case "inhumanity" is a better term!:lol:

8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Stupid is as stupid does!

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

:lol:ROFL

That guy is not a trumpet player (or technician), he's a PLUMBER.

Turtle