Is this as bad of an idea I think it is?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Apr 18, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Wow!! How abrasive is this?! Valve compression I predict will be shot within a couple of years.

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    "plumber" ... now that is funny!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you can push the valves in from the bottom, they are already shot.

I am surprised he didn't hook them up to an electric drill.

By the way, except for certain stainless steel valves, ALL valves are NOT polished smooth and should not be. There are tons of microsratches in a real lapping process that make oil work the way that it supposed to. Shiny valves are (except for certain stainless ones) worn.

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    @Robin.. now that is the best post of the week .. I hope this guy doesn't read it ...

5. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    Dr. Baldwin (of ITG and University of Minnesota) advocates for a smarter type of this process.

He recommends the use of Lava Soap. Lather some on your hands and just apply that to the piston, and have "lap" it from the top and from the bottom.

I used this on my near-strike-era Bach, which had very crappy valve movement. I did NOT over-do this process and I did it to the point where it would go in as I pushed it gently but not free fall back out. Before, it wouldn't even go in past maybe quarter of an inch.

It really really made my piston movement much quicker, and it still retains all of its seal and has excellent compression.

All the dinging around in that video is dumb, but if you do it in a smart way, I really don't think this is a "dumb, dumb, dumb" idea. Ideally you would buy a trumpet that has excellent piston work already, but sometimes you are just stuck with what you got.

This (if done correctly) is one way to make the best of what you have.

Dennis78 likes this.
  6. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    Thats insulting to plumbers, could be an apprentice blacksmith!:dontknow:

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I get your drift Keenan but
    ..Some kid is going to see this video... ( you know, the kid who's valve catch because he doesn't push down properly on the buttons)nand get his hands on the stuff or his Dad's lapping compound... and tell the rest of his buddies in the trumpet section how great it is, how fast his valves are now, and before Spring Concert half the the section is going to have lousy compression in their horns ... but the woodwind section that sits in front of these kids will be very happy ...

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    We blacksmiths are much prettier than this plumber. ROFL

9. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    I just heard Schilke and Bach turn over in their grave!

10. phittle

phittle Pianissimo User

May 9, 2008
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    I think I'll stick to water rinsing and wiping my pistons/casings with a dry soft cloth thank you! The only time I ever "cleaned" a valve that way was when a music tech friend told me to gently (emphasize...GENTLY) use a bit of Pepsodent toothpaste to clean off some residue.