Is this as bad of an idea I think it is?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Apr 18, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

You are absolutely right! Plumbers are a lot smarter than that (normally). Some people just have a habit of attacking a "problem" with something that's too big ....... like using a shotgun to get a pesky fly rather than what a normal person would use .... a baseball bat.:dontknow:

Turtle

2. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    it did not make any noticable difference in the compression. Mine were sticking to the point of unperformability... I get what you mean, but this was lava soap. I didn't use anything else.

In any case my horn played better then ever before and it compresses and slots just as well as a new one. Maybe I got lucky, maybe it was the right thing to do. All I care in the end is that it worked out. Wether or not I recommend it to others is questionable because you are right about how easy it would be to permanently damage your horn...

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I may be obssessive, but i avoid touching either the piston or the casing with anything rougher than a little plastic device (from the hardware store) that grabs a special cloth to pass through the casings. I had a bad dream about that video last night ... Zombies captured my Getzen and turned it into a "horn of the living dead." It disintegrated, right in front of me. Luckily, in the dream, a flying Charlie Melk arrived just in time to piece it back together. It was "no charge" too ....... Before he flew off, he said, "Zombie work is always a public service." :lol:

Turtle

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    everyone knows any self respecting plumber would have used teflon tape before he screwed the valve caps back on .. oh, and replaced the washers

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    ..... and a Blacksmith would have feetled it all under heat and hammer. Lapping is for wooses (he would declare). ROFL

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Dreams of being among the dead (zombies) would NOT be welcome in my present sleep. With my health and age, in reality the expectation is soon enough. Then, I'll request one of my own horns be buried with me so I'll have no propensity to need one that belongs to others here. Pleasant dreams all.

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Wow, what an insult to blacksmiths. :)

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yes, I agree that tradesmen (and women) in other trades would not attempt such. That said I know one blacksmith now deceased that in addition to iron, also did excellent work in brass and copper both by hammer and machine.

He also built his own violin, learned to play it well without a teacher, and was in demand for many local country dances. He could play both by ear and sight reading music, the latter until he was blinded with macular degeneration.