Is this good?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Aarix, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Aarix

Aarix New Friend

Dec 24, 2010
    Hello Everyone, I'm fairly New Here.:-) but here it goes.
    I'm a Sophmore in High School and play Trumpet in Band. We have just 4 trumpets, 2 that are freshmen, me and a junior whose also 1st chair.

I've come to notice that my range has been very high, We play songs that go to the high Bb and I've been able to play the up to the high D (and Sometimes above) but the 1st chair seems to be unable to play all the needed high notes and since just us have 1st parts. Is it just the 1st chair has a lower range or do I have a higher than Normal?

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    range and musicality is a product of practice, practice, and more practice. someone besides me will likely come along and tell you that. Being a sophmore entitles you to demonstrate to the upper and underclassmen that you have class as a trumpet player -- and you can demonstrate solid practice skills and give information and tips that help those others (with practice) achieve a standard that is higher than they currently have.

Other than that - I would say a high Bb, high C, and a high D at your level (as long as it is in tune and musical) -- is a great accomplishment -- so keep playing, have fun, and remember there is tonguing, tune, musicality, quality, slurring and audience appeal,and a host of other things that determines "goodness" in trumpet playing
    pass on the good to others ---

3. Aarix

Aarix New Friend

Dec 24, 2010
    Thank you. I actually built my range around 8th grade. And after months of annoying the heck out of the whole band My high notes are well sounding once I warm up.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Are you above normal? I guess it depends - I had that kind of range as a Freshman/Sophomore, but that's not really "high" by any means.

For what it's worth, in your shoes I'd appreciate the range that I had and I'd work to develop into a solid player all around - meaning I'd work to build the rest of my technique and musicality without having to worry so much about about chops and the upper register that plagues so many young players in your age bracket.

5. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Strive for the whole package. When others refer to you as a musician then you are sounding good. Believe it or not that the realy good music you will be asked to play as time goes on uses very little high notes and relies on musical beauty. Maturity will teach you this. Best wishes.

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yes - always be sure to warmup before uncorking some of those high notes -- that will prevent injury in your face and lips.
    Best wishes --- range takes time, and there is no substitute for practice, practice, and more practice. Be sure to pass on all the "technique" you learn to help the others --

7. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    One definition of a gentleman is one who can play high notes, but doesn't (unless it's called for in your part.) Be a good supportive section mate and try not to hot-dog. (I know, we are trumpet players, what am I saying?)

Upper register comes to some player more easily than others so don't rub it in with your sell fortunate colleagues. Your day will come. Work on some challenging etudes and solo literature for an outlet for your talents. (do you have a private teacher?) And always play musically. Would you want to listen to you? Think about it.

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    --
    Try to be supportive. Not everyone musically develops at the same rate.
    Is your ability normal? It just depends.
    Ask yourself:
    Is there a part of your practice routine that's ommitted in order for you to work on your upper register? For example:
    Are you working on all 12 of your major scales up and down?
    What pages are you working on in Arbans?
    What major pieces are you working on for competitions?
    --
    You want to develop "ALL" aspects of your playing. That means working on high notes AND the other stuff too.
    Good Luck

9. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    When I was in 7th grade, I was already better than most of the upper-class trumpet players,and I was playing 3rd trumpet in orchestra. The 2 guys who sat 1st and 2nd chair were seniors,and I coulda showed them up, but I waited my turn. When I was a sophomore, at auditions, my teacher told me I did better than the senior trumpet player, but she "couldnt give me 1st chair",even though I played WAY better-she didnt want a fight with the senior boy's parents! But,my junior and senior years,I ruled the roost!! Be patient,AND supportive-your day will come!! Dont hot-dog it! Remember, there's no "I" in team!!!:play:

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I guess you could be considered the big fish in the little pond. In other school systems with more competition, maybe the cards would be dealt differently.

In any case, it is up to you to make the most of what you have. The other player without as much range, may have other more important things that are better than you. That only means that you have no right to equate range with quality. The audience pays for music, not lopsided talent. Make sure that you are building people skills along with your trumpet skills. Make sure that your articulation and dynamics are as spectacular as you think that your range is.

My 5th grade students generally have a solid high C and 16ths double tongued at at least quarter=144. By the time that they are in high/junior high school, the improvements depend upon how much time they still invest or sometimes whether they got braces.