Is this Marine Band quality?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    For anyone who has any experience in Military Bands, please watch this and let me know if I have a shot if I audition. If you think it's a waste of time for me to audition, the more honest you are the more you are helping me! I crack a bit more than normal in this video...but I'm playing this for my Christmas Concert in a few weeks and just recorded one of my runthroughs of it.

Bugler's Holiday - YouTube

Peter McNeill likes this.
  2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas

What syllable do you use for multi tonguing? Sometimes your tonguing is very consonant heavy and lack tone. But it is good. Keep practicing!

3. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Do you mean a Marine Corp field band? I would say yes, but with this caveat - this is not enough to go on.

Watch the tempo on your eighth notes. You rush them a little bit in relation to your sixteenths.
    Also, you can make your dynamics a bit wider in contrast.

4. Myshilohmy

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    What do you mean not enough to go on?

And sorry about the tempo I was playing with a recording and couldnt always hear it over myself playing.

And yes I meant a field band.

5. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    You will never know until you schedule yourself to go for an audition. As a former Army recruiter, I would suggest that you ask your Marine Recruiter for inofrmation/ music that is used to evaluate.

Good luck.

Gary

6. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I mean, if I was auditioning you for a band, I would want to hear more music of varying styles.

7. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    Im in the process of joining in the UK and the audition is scales, sight reading, sight singing and to play 2 contrasting pieces- I would say go for a solo study instead of a solo part of a band piece for your audition

8. Myshilohmy

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    I guess I should have explained more, this is not what I would audition with. I just recorded something I was working on to give people an idea of where I'm at.

9. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    I understand what your asking, I was in the 26th Army band NYC 1973 thru 1976, keep up those chops and you’ll have an excellent chance at making it through the audition. You’ll go through Little Creek School of Music after basic training and they are good teachers there. Good Luck !

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The Marine field band is essentially all pros now. In the past years there has been so many fine players not finding playing jobs that the ante has moved WAY up.

It does not hurt to audition if you get a chance. Every experience makes you better. I am not sure that what they are looking for is just playing though........