Is this Marine Band quality?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The Marine band in Washington ("The President's Own") is a professional band, and the members are Marines in name, but are really just professionally-auditioned musicians who receive minimal military etiquette training. The field bands are made up of musicians who go through the same basic training as any Marine, so I doubt there are too many "symphony types" in those.

2. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    It seems as the OP was asking if he would make it through the audition to be a Marine Musician with his current chops, and the answer to that is of course he would have a good chance at passing. Why talk about “THE” marine field band and the Presidents own ? The process for joining that level of music is totally different than auditioning young men and women for a military music program, it’s completely separate program. This is making him think he doesn’t have a chance when he actually has a good chance of getting in ANY of the branches of military music programs, Army, Navy, Air Force or Marines. Promoting and supporting a young musician looking for a career is the key here, not leading them to think there may be no hope.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    This may be of some help. There are lots of military bands in which to play. I found an article that said over 50 billion would be spent on bands in the next 50 years. Even I can do that math. Here's a Wiki with lots of pertinent info. Keep working on it. Sounds good.

United States military bands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I suppose you're replying to my comment in Post #11. It was in response to Rowuk's comment:
    I assumed he was confusing The President's Own with a Marine field band, and I was merely pointing out the difference. Of course, I agree that the OP has a good chance of making it in a Marine field band - no discouragement intended by my post.

5. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    I have had phenomenal teachers who didn't make it into The Presidents Own, I am no where close to that level yet.

I really do appreciate all the support and feedback! The main reason for me as to why it's been so hard to find information about auditioning is because when you google Marine Band or request information for it you never know if you are looking at info for a field band or THE Marine band.

And I am not only willing, but wanting to do what it takes to go through all the training it takes to become a Marine.

6. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    You need to talk to a Marine recruiter and set up an audition. If you don't make it, get all the feedback you can, go home, practice and try again.

During the Viet Nam conflict I auditioned for several bands, Army and Air Force, until I hit it (in the nick of time since my deferment was running out). It was very competitive because of the draft and musicians' aversion to combat (lovers, not fighters).

It's competitive now because of the economy and the state of the civilian music scene.

Good luck.

Ed Kennedy, Ex-SP4 6th US Army Band, PSFC

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Actually, show some caution when using recruiters as your main source of information regarding bands. Often bands have the most up-to-date information, they handle the auditions and are musicians who can answer musical questions with more expertise than recruiters. And in some services, assignments are coordinated closely through someone in the respective bands. This is not to say that there are not some well-informed recruiters, just that usually there is someone in a band who's job is to handle recruiting issues and who is more likely to have current and accurate information.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If there is a band anywhere near where you live, call them up and make arrangements to meet one of the trumpet players. First hand info will take you a long ways.....