Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetGal, Nov 30, 2008.

1. TrumpetGal

TrumpetGal New Friend

Nov 30, 2008
    Hey everyone, first time on this wonderful forum. I am in Grade 9 Concert Band and I just started playing the trumpet (Literally just started) because I wanted to take a break from my usual instrument which is the drum kit/percussion; As a keener myself, I have played nearly 3 hours yesterday when renting my trumpet, and after I stopped, I noticed my top lip has gotten "mushier" and "droopier".

Edit: Also...it's still in the same state today. I guess sleeping it off doesn't work.

Is this normal? I really don't want this to be permanent!

Thanks a bunch.

2. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    You probably outplayed your endurance.

Did you warm down with lip slurs?
    Try pedal tones, by reducing pressure, and only playing just enough air to make a noise. It'll be low, like a tuba.

Also, buzz out your lips, like making a tractor noise.

3. TrumpetGal

TrumpetGal New Friend

Nov 30, 2008
    Sorry, I don't exactly know what lip slurs/pedal tones are. Though I've created the sound you descripted, but not just afterwards I played.

Tried buzzing them out, still in the same shape.

Man, the B flat Concert Scale is hard. :p

4. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    Lip slurs are playing different notes on the same fingering.
    Here's more.

Here's more on pedal tones.

You've gotta do those before and after you practice, every time.
    We started doing there for field band, and we all have more endurance, and our chops feel better after wards.
    And you've gotta buzz out right after you play, for at least 5 minutes, or your lip will be horrible the next day.

5. TrumpetGal

TrumpetGal New Friend

Nov 30, 2008
    That's great to know! Thank you so much. Now I just hope my lip will
    turn back to normal.

6. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Hi TrumpetGal, and very welcome to TM!

3 hours of playing a day is a lot to many trumpeters, even to those who have been playing for a couple of years.
    You can compare this to doing 3 hours of situps; your poor muscles are not ready for this. What´s more, when muscles are really tired, like your lips are now, one or two days of total rest may well be required for them to recover!

Now, I know how hard it is not to be allowed to play every day, but in let´s say two days, you can pick the horn up again, but only for 15-20 minutes a day to begin with.

Take a dive into the chat room sometimes. We have nice talks in there!

7. TrumpetGal

TrumpetGal New Friend

Nov 30, 2008
    Thanks for the warm welcome!
    Alright, gotcha, gotta let loose on my playing time. I was just so eager to play something, because usually I pick up instruments extremely fast.

I'll check out the chat room sometimes too! Thanks.

8. MaynardTrumpet

MaynardTrumpet Pianissimo User

May 25, 2008
    Dude, for a beginner trumpeter, 3 hours is outrageous. I'm surprised you survived that long, you should be feeling dizzy after like 5-10 minutes. Do Not play more than 15-20 minutes a day. You're focus right now should be getting every single one of those notes in the Concert Bb Chromatic Scale from Bottom C to Middle C. For at least 2 - 3 weeks. You need to build some sort of endurance before you go on. So right now, you need long tones, and 2 note (C - G) lip slurs.

9. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    Yes, it is normal. My lips were like that towards the beginning when I played longer than I could handle. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but 3 hours a day is a bit much for a beginner. I could never handle more than 2 without taking a break. So, be sure to take breaks. And no, that state isn't permanent.

10. ExtraTeeth

ExtraTeeth Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Perth, Western Australia
    Do you have a teacher? I think its essential to have one as its easy to pick up technique flaws that will be difficult to fix later on.