Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BigDub, Sep 23, 2014.

1. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    The skeptic in me quips: good luck.
    The trumpet player in me eagerly shouts: I would love to see that!
    The logician in me postulates: someone performing the feat today proves only that it can be done, not that it was ever previously accomplished.

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    If it's possible for someone to do today, then I'd bet Clarke could have done it, too. I agree that it may be possible to lip all those notes (especially with an old-timey open, deep funnel-cup cornet mouthpiece), but it probably wouldn't sound very good.

3. mgcoleman

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Agreed, but it does not prove he actually did it. Sorry, just my inner logician nit-picking on the veracity of the story...

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    IF he did it, does that make Herb a "comeback" player??!! :roll:

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Perhaps he played a chromatic scale with the valves up to high C then carried out without valves from then up. Perhaps he had not played a concert for years but had still some practice here and there. These stories say more about how legendary someone had become than about what really happened on that occasion where the legendary status was witnessed, probably by someone eager to confirm that status...

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Why would one want to bend notes this seriously? Take up natural trumpet and you will know why.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I can do chromatics on my hose trumpet. Dogs don't bother howling, they just run. ROFL

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It sounds like a fish story to me. It's possible that Clarke played for him, and even played a chromatic scale, but methinks that someone decided somewhere along the way that the story needed to be embellished - it happens all the time.

Here's a case in point - totally unrelated to this thread except that it's a story that I know was embellished in the retelling.

My Dad, a police officer in my small hometown, was called one evening to deal with a skunk that gotten up underneath a golf cart trailer parked near the alley. Dad's thought was, this is a skunk; leave it alone and it will go away, but mess with it, and it could get ugly. They folks who called it in insisted that the skunk be dealt with - it could have rabies! (Because ALL skunks have rabies, don'tcha know.) The problem was, they couldn't get this skunk to come out from underneath the trailer - they'd try to get it out from one side, and it would back up until it's haunches were even with the other side of the trailer, but it wouldn't come out. This was when Dad got the idea - the skunk's haunches stayed under the trailer, but the tail was flopping around outside.

So Dad goes and get's the no-choke police shotgun out of the car, loads it with birdshot, and stands next to the wheel of the trailer, and had someone try to get the skunk to come out from the other side. When the skunk backed up to the edge of the trailer, Dad, a competition marksman and trap shooter, grabbed the skunk by the tail, whipped it down the alley, and then dispatched the skunk with one clean shot from the shotgun about the time the skunk stopped skidding down the alley. That's the story to best of my recollection based on hearing my Dad tell it a number of times.

One day, decades later, they were sitting around at coffee at a local coffee shop, and a guy who was present for "The Great Skunk Caper" decided to retell the story, only in his version, Dad grabs the skunk, whips it up into the air, swiftly draws his .45 from his holster and shoots the skunk out of the sky with one expertly placed shot. Keep in mind that Dad was THERE while this guy was botching and embellishing the story into something borderline absurd. Dad's only correction, to help this guy save face, was to say, "well, that's not QUITE how it happened."

This is a small town police officer - not Herbert L. Clarke. My bet is that the story got embellished a lot somewhere along the way. It's possible that that Herbert L. Clarke only played a single note, or a very simple etude, but it morphed into something entirely different over the years.

9. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    No need, in my case, to prove he did it. If you notice the post title, Is this possible, not did it happen for sure........
    And, as is the case so often, many answers are being given, thoughts about the matter, and was the story accurate and so forth. I am trying to get a consensus as to wether it is physically possible. Trickg, of course the story was embellished, but could a small town police officer throw a skunk in the air and shoot it with a 45? I believe that is possible, not that it happened, but that it's possible. Just saying.........

10. mgcoleman

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    I would pay money to see that...from a distance, of course!