Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BigDub, Sep 23, 2014.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Yes it did. Again, not trying to derail the thread, but sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction. This is an event that pretty much made my Dad a legend, not only in my hometown, but in the whole SW quadrant of the state. It's not terribly long, and quite an entertaining read for anyone who takes the time to check it out.

I think that the pertinent quote from this document is: "Gleason was carrying a Thompson 45 caliber submachine gun. <his personal firearm> Smith was armed with a revolver."

Breese v. Newman :: 1966 :: Nebraska Supreme Court Decisions :: Nebraska Case Law :: US Case Law :: US Law :: Justia

2. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    If it's fiction, it more often than not needs to be believable. If it's the truth, it can be strange and no one can say anything about it, as long as it is indeed the truth.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I was messing around with this in the practice room last night. Granted, I'm no Herbert L. Clarke, but the furthest I could push a pitch before breaking to another partial was about a half step in either direction.

4. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Let's hear what you came up with!
    We promise not to laugh! :roll: Well, I promise I won't. I can't speak for anyone else.

5. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    Don't call me "Surely".

6. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
  7. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    Just press a valve or two just enough to make them leak. You can fake it as far as your lip holds out.

8. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Who?

9. redintheface

redintheface Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2010
    Bath, UK
    I bought a very cheap and old rotary trumpet off ebay a while back. 1920s, and the valves worn to a crisp. Without a thick valve oil, so much air leaked around the valves that it was possible to play a chromatic slide all the way up and down the instrument, without any fingering at all.

Either his instrument was particularly....used....or this story is somewhat embellished.

10. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Similar to why cars have automatic transmissions, I guess. We can shift ourselves, but it's nice not to have to.
    Back to my initial question, let me be more clear...do you think it is physically possible to do what was claimed in the story, not, had he played in the last ten years prior, nor if he was an obnoxious boor, or egotistical maniac, but is it physically possible? That was my initial question. Don't let emotions, or side subjects interfere with the question, just that point of contention only. I don't have a need to even know if he actually did it on that occasion, because, look at the thread title- "IS THIS POSSIBLE?"