Is this the end...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by frankmike, Aug 2, 2011.

1. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    ...is this the ultimate goal?

I mean we all strive for perfection, but it has to stop somewhere. Is this the end is this the closest to perfection it gets. Or is there beyond?

‪Allen Vizzuti - Brillant Fantasie‬‏ - YouTube

If I could play this well (and I am seriously working on it day by day 4 hours plus) -will I be the best trumpet player in the world? In lets say 5 years time? Can it be done?

2. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Best according to whom or what criteria?

There is no "best" when it comes to music, because it is an artform, not an objectively measurable stack of data.

For me the ultimate goal is to gig as much as I can with great groups.
    Practicing is just something I do to be ready for the next gig.
    If I had to practice an hour or more every day without the prospects of a gig every week or so I think I'd give up.

my 2c,

Greg

3. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Vizzutti can play anything.
    The Brilliant Fantasie is a very nice piece and is difficult. However, this is close to impossible even for the best. It is as difficult as it gets while still being musical.
    ‪Allen Vizzutti Carnival of Venus‬‏ - YouTube
    Keep trying until you do get it!
    RT

4. GreenFrogJelly

GreenFrogJelly New Friend

Jul 19, 2011
    New York
    I would disagree that we strive for perfection. What does that really mean? And what does it mean to be the best in the world? I think there are many options here.

Set no limits on your potential (how can you really know that anyway?) and work reasonably with a love for doing it. It's not a competition, it's a personal journey of expression.

And so what, if in five years you can't play as fast or as high as someone? That doesn't mean that you don't have gifts or that yours are any less valuable. Strive for the standards of those gurus you look up to - but be your own person. That's the 'beyond'.

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    coolerdave likes this.
  6. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    I strive to play what I hear in my head. If I can accomplish that, I will die happy. Since I am 60 and counting, the goal doesn't seem to be quite in reach...

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Come on Duane, don't get maudlin on us - you have the WHOLE rest of your life yet ;-).

8. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    Not maudlin, Ted, just realistic. Attaining a goal is not the most important thing in life, it's the effort and the minor successes that get me thru the day. That and lots of pastries...

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Duane, you're right - it's not the goal, it's the journey - enjoy - for as long as you are given.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The goal for each one of us is different. For some, it is even getting a note out of the horn. For others, it is an unstructured attempt to get more high notes, for others it is providing the audience with the highest degree of pleasure. For others it is making the most money. For others it is knowing more geeky stuff. For others it is simply posting more geeky stuff - whether true or not...............

For the very few like Al Vizzutti, it is none of the above. They are the way they are because they are HELPLESS when it comes to the trumpet. They are completely at its mercy and have been for most of their life. I was in college with AV, believe me, he is posessed. No amount of time invested by pure mortals will create a second AV, WM, MA, MF, WB, CB, JF, AH, EC, TC, WW or any other monster. Practice for them is not something extra - it is their basic lifes blood.

I teach my students to rejoice in where they are and in the small things that make them better every minute, hour, day, week, month or year.

The spectacular may be cool, it is NOT what players like AV are about. It is only a symptom of what devotion by a talented player can result in. Do not assume that AV has not and does not pay a price for this exceptional playing...........