Is this the trumpet or my imagination?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by papacker, Aug 8, 2012.

1. papacker

papacker New Friend

May 21, 2012
    I have an 0lds Special Trumpet made arond 1978. i have owned the trumpet since new when I was in 7th grade. I have never played a pro level trumpet, so i have nothing to compare my horn with.

Here is my question, using the 1 and 2 valve combination, I can easily slur up to a C sharp above the staff. using the 1 and 3 combination as well as fist valve alone, I can slur up to the d above the staff. With all valves open I have great difficulty sluring up to the C above the saff and even have to sometimes fight to get to the G at the top of the staff.

So, do you think that this could be the horn, or is it just in my head?

2. trumpeterjake

trumpeterjake Pianissimo User

Aug 5, 2012
    Connersville, Indiana
    I dont think its that unusual. I used to be able to do the same thing, but I didn't have trouble playing the G or high C. My guess is because the intervals are greater when you play open, or you push hard to make the larger intervals happen and it shuts you off sooner.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  3. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Just play what works. I have several trumpets and use different fingerings to get better results. That is why listening to pitch is so important.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    It can be horn, head or both. To fool the head, try pushing down the third valve just a teensy-eensy amount. Sometimes the extra resistance will make the slur easier until our chops learn to do it without tricking them.

edfitzvb likes this.
  5. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    You're also playing different partials.

Tom

6. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Could I hijack this thread a little please. I play Cornet as well as Trumpet. (UK Brass Bander) I have an issue on the cornet with A flat (played 2/3) above the stave on newer cornets I fond it a pig to play. Besson Brevette 60 year or so old no ploblem, but on the newer insturments (I play a John Packer 271 SW but I've had the problem on Zenos too) I find it a real issue. It isn't a range problem I comfortably go well above. Any ideas?

Thanks guys

Cheers

Andrew

7. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Get the Besson back. Don't over-complicate your life because of a faulty instrument.