Is this typical for beginner of 1 month?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by YTR-2335, Mar 31, 2006.

1. YTR-2335

YTR-2335 New Friend

Mar 25, 2006
    I start playing the first practice session of the day and I sound pretty good for the first few minutes. Tone is good and the notes are clean. But after just a few minutes everthing starts to go down hill. After 5 or 10 min I'm done and can't get anymore clean notes. If I rest for an hour and come back I can get another 5 or 10 of clean notes. So is this typical for a beginner of one month?

2. JoeCool

JoeCool New Friend

Dec 9, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Hang in there, man. :cool: Even the best of us have those moments!!

3. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Right on schedule, keep practicing!

4. YTR-2335

YTR-2335 New Friend

Mar 25, 2006
    Thanks! :-)

5. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    You stated that you sound good at the beginning of your session. Maybe that's it. You are already in the mind set of content and you settle for what you have in the first 5 minutes and then loose interest. (either consciously or unconsciously). Keep a focused attitude beyond the 5 or 10 minutes. In fact, the first few minutes of your sesison should technically be a warm up anyway for things to come later on in the day (that's me anyway).

Just a thought at midnight in the middle of writing philosophy papers of all things. :-?

Keep at it. Try to play for a longer period of time each day until you can hold down a full hour of practice. If you get tired use your little breaks t familiarize yourself with a piano. TRUST ME it will help alot in learning music (unless you already know it). Then you can spread out those hours through the day. ME? I do an hour in the morning before class, 2 hours after class then an hour in the evening (when there arean't any rehearsals).

Eric

6. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Play 10 minutes, rest at least 10 minutes. Eventually you will build up more endurance. You could have fundamental problems also but that should be determined by someone that actually hears you play.

7. jcmacman

jcmacman Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    SoCal
    When I came back to the trumpet 2 years ago I had the same problem. The advice that I recieved was ALWAYS rest as much as you play and practice at pp levels. The endurance will come.

Hang in there, you sound like you are on track.
    john

8. YTR-2335

YTR-2335 New Friend

Mar 25, 2006
    Thanks, I'm hanging in alright. I really enjoy playing even what little I can. I don't know what it is about the trumpet that is so appealing but I don't want to put it down.

9. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    AHH the bug does still bite....................':roll:'

10. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Make sure when you play pp that you don't do it by making your lips or throat tight.