Is this what music is about?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RobertSlotte, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Is there much call for that kind off limited playing? Should I start practicing this stuff? Does it work in a brass quintet, trumpet and organ, or other chamber ensembles?

2. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I bet if he ran it through an "auto-tuner" and added a drum machine/rhythm track, then looped his senseless comentary, he would have a "hit" on his hands.:roll:

3. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    That guy does make a good point in that listening to, and getting lessons from, professional screamers will be more likely to improve your range and endurance. But, yeah, that attitude.... and, yeah, I don't care about a triple-high squeak by itself.

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    You guys are all candy @sses. Aside from learning to play manly man's trumpet, my students will learn about self respect. You think anybody thinks I'm a failure because I go home to Starla at night? Forget about it!

[​IMG]

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The problems are the same on his audition tape as with the band recordings. Timing, lack of line, lack of groove. Especially up high it is like a hammer on every note.

Top players make me tap my foot, not even a trace of that here.

I guess this would be exceptional if one was 14 or 15. I expect a lot more after puberty.

I guess his biggest problem is lack of repect for composers, other band members and real musicians. That makes me sad. A great dose of humility would probably turn his playing around.

6. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    he has a problem in approach. He approaches trumpet playing as if it is sport.

Well, it isn sport.

But if he likes it as sport -he can form some committe to make it a sport. So he can then organize some competitions. Like who can blow higher, who can play longer etc, etc

but it is not music, it is not art.

As long as he calls it (his trumpet playing) a sport it is fine with me

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    This reminds me of a joke: Young Johnny was disappointed when his band came last in the competition. "Don't worry about it son, you were wonderful," said his father, "you played louder and faster than anyone else in your band!"

--bumblebee

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Bumblebee, you've hit it on the head. He has a "Winning" attitude and he is going to be louder and faster than his bandmates, even if it kills them.:lol:

I remember this guy. I'm not sure who threw him out, but cudos to our moderators for getting rid of him. Kids (and the rest of us) do well with exposure to musicians. I don't think he's in that category ........ yet. A big dose of humility, a (few) glass(es) of wine, and a Miles Davis CD box set would do him some good. With an attitude like he has, he'll be a failure wherever he goes.:dontknow:

And with such a lack of respect for composers and band members, he's not likely to become a musician any time soon. Hard to imagine what the lessons would be like ..... Bootcamp?

Turtle

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I used to play high in the 70's, but I did everything high in the 70's!

10. flacotechs

flacotechs New Friend

Aug 4, 2011
    Houston, TX
    i always try to remember what my grandfather taught me, which was that it doesn't matter how high or low you can play, if you can't make it sound "musical", you might as well not even be playing. Playing in high school we used to see who could hit the highest note, but it never, EVER sounded like music. It was just noise. There are plenty of musicians who never go very high in the register, but man oh man do they make some pretty music!