Is this what music is about?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RobertSlotte, Sep 2, 2011.

1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I would probably get brutalised over on another (cough, cough) certain trumpet forum for saying this, but this discussion seems fairly moderate and open minded, so here goes: there seems to be a tendency among all too many trumpet players to give far too much weight to loud, screech-note playing when they come to an opinion of the musical value of a particular solo, or player for that matter.

Sure, as we might struggle with our own range problems we are in awe of those who have conquered their own and give them their due respect. Also, when used well, high note playing is really exciting to hear. But it's an effect. I don't know how many solos I've heard that were musically lame but which knocked out my fine-feathered friends because the player was playing mind-boggling high notes which overstayed their visits but that seemingly was lost on the listener. You can almost compare it to a rock guitarist's solo that just relies on electronic tricks that are over used and old hat but whose brain dead groupies in the audience are going nuts on. Now, if that's what one wants to do, or listen to have at it. But it shouldn't be confused with musicality.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    It seems about the right time to listen to Doc again.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO6PSUqeVBE

--bumblebee

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I heard that as a kid on the radio, called the station up asked "Who was that?" My parents bought me a stereo and that album for Christmas. Years later, as a Doc, Maynard, and Don Ellis inspired classical player (go figure!) he played that with our symphony at a pops concert. His dressing room was two floors up in the Opera House and everybody could hear him warming up during a rehearsal. Kinda distracted the brass section, but in concert, even from his back, he sounded amazing!

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Isn't that a beautiful song, bumblebee? Jeez, Leon Russell's 1970 studio version is so deep and sophisticated. Sounds simple but it's not. Anyway - I heard Doc play that live probably in 1973 at a National Association of Jazz Educators convention. He didn't play it as virtuostic as on this recording; much warmer. I remember when he got to the last time on the verse, "And when my life is over, Remember when we were together", man chills ran up the back of my neck and you could feel the vibe in the audience. Just wonderful.

5. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    No mouthpiece in the horn, watch the vid, anyone can do this.

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Very few players make (made) sweet music above high C, Doc, MF, Bill Chase are my 3 favorites.

When idiots like trumpetsizzle / kurt attempt high range gymnastics and fail it ain't pretty and
    it sure ain't music. It reminds me of a clip from a MF reunion a few years ago when Pat Hession
    and Eric Miyashiro were "tea kettling" at the end of Gonna Fly Now. It was so stupid and pointless.