issue since horn change

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 70newport, Mar 11, 2012.

1. 70newport

70newport New Friend

Dec 31, 2011
    Hi everyone,

I just went from playing an old getzen 390 series from the mid 60's to playing a mid 90's yamaha ytr-6320s.

When i play the new horn it seems like i can not get through an exercise without having to empty the "water" valve.... yet i went back and played my old getzen and can play an entire 3 page song without having to empty it?

Now the getzen has actual cork on the water keys where as the yamaha has rubber.....

Is this a horn issue or player issue or what should i make of this.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. thanks everyone.

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    You are playing a small bore Yamaha and maybe you are just using more spit and dont know it? I do not know the bore of the getzen but the bore is the only thing that I can think of.

3. 70newport

70newport New Friend

Dec 31, 2011
    The getzen was a .460 and the yamaha is a .459 from what I understand. would that really make that big of a difference?

is there anything i can do to try ot eliminate this aside from a different horn again ?

Thanks!

4. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Cody is probably on to something. Give it time the Yamaha is a great trumpet. After you get use to it, you may notice less of an issue.

5. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Sorry, but that Yamaha is not .459. I play a large bore yamaha and the bore is .463 and you play a small bore one. I am not sure but I will look up the bore. The Getzen with a bore of .46 will have a big difference. give me a little bit to find that bore size for you.

6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Update, your horn is a Medium bore, not small. The small bore on a Yamaha .445 and a ML bore is .459. You have between that. I think that may be the issue. Leave it to Yamaha to delete the info of horns that they do make anymore. Thanks Yamaha!

7. 70newport

70newport New Friend

Dec 31, 2011
    Yeah my local Yamaha dealer here in edmonton told me it was a .459 and playing other yamaha horns they had in the store from the same era of horn with the same bore size i didnt seem to have the problem at all. then I purchased this horn and have noticed it since i bought it...

Any suggestions on how to change the way I play if I need to accomadate such an issue? ie lip exercises/ mouthpiece change.....

I normally play on the 10 1/2 c that came with the trumpet from new( started playing with it in grade 7 and hevent looked back) or i play on the bobby shew lead mouthpiece. i believe it is similar to a 14 b?

Thanks again

8. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    He lied. You play a medium bore horn, that is what the 2 in 6320 means. 1 is small bore (.445) 2 is medium, 3 is ML and 4 is L (.463). I cant find any info on your bore size though.
    Lip exercises wont help, and please dont change the mouthpiece. If it works in 1 trumpet it will work in another. The 10 1/2C is a fine mouthpiece, so is the shew lead. The only thing I can say to do, is to empty your spit more often.

What grade are you in now? Do you have a trumpet teacher that can help?

9. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    If you are unhappy, take it back to the dealer and get one of the ones tha was more to your liking. The owner will probably return the whole value towards credit on another one. If your this unhappy now, it probably won't feel better later, unless you can overcome needing to dump more. I have horns that are smaller bore that I have to dump more frequently than others, but they produce a sound I like and am not in a hurry to sell them. But, I'm in a different posiition than you and can afford several trumpets. I promise you if I don't like a horn, I would sell it, or trade it for something I do like.
    Best Regards

10. 70newport

70newport New Friend

Dec 31, 2011

I actualy just graduated college 3 years ago but had stopped playing for 3 years and just picked it up again over the last year and a half. After playing with Tom Banks and PJ perry for a few shows and then not touching a horn for a few years a guy starts to go crazy! lol

I dont have a trumpet teacher. Wish I had the cash for one. Owning a house sucks for that lol.