issue since horn change

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 70newport, Mar 11, 2012.

1. 70newport

70newport New Friend

Dec 31, 2011

I actualy just graduated college 3 years ago but had stopped playing for 3 years and just picked it up again over the last year and a half. After playing with Tom Banks and PJ perry for a few shows and then not touching a horn for a few years a guy starts to go crazy! lol

I dont have a trumpet teacher. Wish I had the cash for one. Owning a house sucks for that lol.

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

Hmmm. The only thing I can say is to emtpey the water key more often. I will find the bore of your horn though.

kingtrumpet likes this.
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The horn bore is .460 and that has NOTHING to do with the water issue. I have no idea where Cody gets his info, but it is wrong. There is also enough info on the web.
    Brass Review.com - Yamaha YTR-6320S
    YTR-6320S - Brass/Woodwinds - Product Archive - Yamaha United States

Here is the info out of an old Yamaha catalog:

"The medium-large bore and matching bell on these models provide a highly popular combination for performing artists. They have an excellent, bright, well-centered tone quality. These trumpets are very flexible models that permit broad dynamic changes without affecting the scale or tiring the player."
    Bore Size: 0.460
    Bell: 5", Yellow Brass One-Piece, B-Shape
    Valves: Top spring action, Monel metal, Hand-Lapped
    Total Length: 19 1/8"
    Net Weight: 2.1 lbs

The chance that you are spitting more is unlikely. It is more probable that you are holding the horn at an angle that lets the moisture accumulate someplace where it can gurgle. Try sitting/standing up a bit straighter. That could solve the problem. Free blowing horns mean that you exhale more and that can transport more moisture.

4. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Thanks Rowuk, That clears up things! Maybe the trumpet is a keeper after all.

5. 70newport

70newport New Friend

Dec 31, 2011
    Thanks everyone i will try changing my posture with the horn. If i can get this sorted out it would be great!

thanks again.

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Have you tried cleaning out the horn? Dirt in the horn can cause moisture to accumulate. And it water condensation NOT SPIT!

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Short of recommending you take 25 mg of Benadryl a half hour before you play, I have no other solution to recommend.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    here is a trick I use -- I mean if you are not certain if you want to keep the horn, if you want to keep it, and you just started playing a few years ago, maybe the spit think will work itself out. I often put a small cloth (cotton) between the rubber on the spit valve -- it seals the horn up good enough to not change the sound, and it usually wicks out excess spit quick enough to prevent the gurgling sound!!1

9. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    dad gum it, rowuk makes sense again. the bore has nothing to do with how free blowing a trumpet is, it's the design of the horn [lead pipe, bell flair and a host of other things]. more air through a horn means more of your breath which carries moisture from your body. learn to either empty your horn more or as he pointed out, to hold it in a different position. Played one of those horns once - great horn, enjoy it.

10. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I agree with this.

I moved to a MUCH more free blowing trumpet a year and a half ago and it definitely accumulates more water than my Bach 37.

My solution was to empty the spit valves more often.