It’s the next day and I’m still upset.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Mar 1, 2010.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I played a show this weekend. It was for a private school and the pit was all hired professionals with the exception of the second trumpet. He was the school science teacher that played when he was in high school.

Yesterday we played two shows and there was a show on Saturday night.

Before the first show yesterday the music director said that she had to run over a few things. Then she started just talking to the brass. Then she said that the problem wasn’t the trombone. There were only three brass. She had us play a completed lick and then told the second trumpet not to play it. Then she was all over us about tuning. All this in front of the band.

I didn’t think it was my responsibility to teach the second player. They knew who they hired. At this point I though I should try to help and asked him if he could pull his slid a little. It was stuck. What the hell am I supposed to do? I tried to tune to him when I could and then to the others when I could.

In-between shows I went to the Music director and tried to talk to her about the problem. I was very apologetic.

After intermission she announces to the band, “Trumpets, don’t play on the last tune.” I couldn’t have been more embarrassed.

I guess I’ll never get called to play there again. Even if I did, I wouldn’t take the job. I don’t need the money that badly.

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Well, I don't think you had anything to be apologetic for. Having a hacker in the mix makes the "trumpets" sound bad, not just the other guy. If your name was in the playbill then your reputation could be damaged. I would have been angry, not apologetic.

Yeah, you don't need that. If she didn't have the stones to say "Mr Science Guy, lay out on the last tune" then she's definitely not going to help you when someone asks about the crappy trumpets. She'll just give both of your names.

The fact that the guy can't adjust his tuning slide but he was allowed to play the 2nd book tells us a lot about the director...

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You now have 3 choices, take what comes, try and set the record straight, or get one of the pros that are "established" with this director to set the record straight.

The third is probably the best, the second is the biggest question mark and the first, well, wishful thinking gets most of us nowhere.

Dr. Laura would say: "now go out and do the right thing".

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Then she was all over us about tuning. All this in front of the band.
    ------------------------
    Yep. That's what directors do. I saw Gergiev reen out the violins once and I've also saw Arthur Feidler chew out this guy's out so bad you could drive a semi through him once he was done.
    Unfortunately(IMO), you stepped into some poo when you apologized. When the problems start to fly from the directors podium, keep your head low and don't apologize for stuff you have no control over. Just do your job.
    You learned a rough lesson. Pull yourself up. brush yourself off, and start all over again.

5. Back at it

Back at it Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2010
    Western, NY
    As a comeback player it sounds like my biggest fear is being the guy playing second trumpet. Although, rest assured, I can play in tune and my slide works just fine! It sounds like you really have nothing to worry about. You can play just fine! you probably have a fine reputation! and no amount of significant damage was done, just a bruised ego, not fault of your own. rowak, as usual, has great advice!

6. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I think most players have had that experience in some form. I wouldn't let it bother you if you think you played well. I remember a particularly stinging comment from a symphony conductor many years ago where she said that I had too much of a "band" sound in Appalachian Spring. Although I had received many complimentary comments about my sound from much more esteemed conductors in prior years, that still got to me. You just have to accept that being a trumpet player requires taking some abuse. Look at what Charlie dealt with for years and years with the Globe and Ozawa. The book In Concert is great reading material about this.

7. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
  8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    'splain, pleeze.

9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I got the job from a recommendation from someone that I worked for before who was also in the band.

Here is the email that I sent to her:

I want to thank you for recommending me for the pit job. I'm sorry it didn't work out.

I was caught in a hard situation. I think Jackie's way of dealing with it was a little tacky.
    I hope I didn't cause you any bad feelings.

Take care,
    Joe

I don't think there's anything else I can do.

10. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Joe,

When I was a senior in college one of the local universities in Boston hired a bunch of NEC ringers so they could do a Mahler symphony. One of the NEC woodwind players got reamed out, even though it was obvious to everyone that she was a solid player and was just having trouble matching the microtonal intonation and mixed-meter rhythm of her 2nd player. I know I came out of that situation having more respect for the person on the hot seat and less respect for the conductor, and I would imagine that if you've been in the scene for a while, playing well and acting professionally, most of the other musicians would recognize the awkward situation you were put in.

-Jimi

Vulgano Brother likes this.