It ain't about the money!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Vulgano Brother, Apr 2, 2010.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    VB,
    the geometry is a matter of perspective. I do like the helix though, albeit for some with a VERY finite length and an abrupt end.........

I agree with your comment on not being reincarnated. I think that level 5 actually allows the musician to oscillate between levels. If we take look at the comeback tours very popular today, some of those "advanced" musicians are actually jump back to level 2, having run out of money in level 4 (and never having made it to 5, unless we define 5 as the state allowing beaming to other levels without passing go or collecting $400.

2. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    Not on such a philosophical level...
    I have always thought of myself as a trumpet player. In my spare time, I think about trumpet a fair % of the time. When I am bored, my fingers are busy as I mentally go through exercises or changes.
    When I was a bit younger, I made a living out of trumpet deriving 100% of my income through playing with the occasionally student or two.
    I spent my life living out of a suitcase playing dingy dives and basically being nocturnal. Breakfast in a coffee shop, a swim or bicycle ride,sit in band bus till next venue, book in to Motel, practice, arvo sleep, dinner, show till between 1-3 in the morning and then start again.
    When i had kids I realised that I was missing moments that I coud not replace. I took a day job and now gig a couple of times a week.
    I do not feel any less professional now than when I was on the road 24/7. In many ways I am more engaged and have a greater passion even though i do not dedicate as much time as I used to. I am playing more musically than ever( I think).
    When i meet new people and they ask me what I do, I say that I am a trumpet player who has a day job, not the other way around.
    I guess what I am saying is that our own perception dictates the importance of an experience to a degree. Obviously, you need to be able to back it up. If you have little ability and think you are professional, you are in Disneyland. I guess the market place dictates this to a degree.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    :thumbsup:
    Not having any personal level 5 experience that I'm aware of, I don't know about the beaming aspect (although I have experienced the sensation of being back in Junior High trying to play the trumpet!)

I like your level 5 idea of oscilation.

I believe the Monopoly game I played as a kid only gave $200 for passing "GO."

But then, it ain't about the money!