It can drive you nuts....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Inkwolf, Jun 10, 2013.

1. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    So I gather you are Bill Gates and have just inherited from the Sultan of Brunei?

2. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    If I had, she wouldn't be getting that one. Had a budget in mind( low):roll::lol::oops::cool:

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    As long as you buy a Getzen, any Getzen, you're fine!!! :roll:

4. Inkwolf

Inkwolf Pianissimo User

May 26, 2013
    :-o That's....what I bought. Guess I'm safe, at least from bad valves!

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    "No trumpet perfect unless perfect trumpet player become you." Yodano Brother.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    "Inscrutable you are young Vulgani."

7. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    I think it is a good idea to try to free oneself from the "equipment fixation" that seems to be such a common condition on this, and other Internet trumpet forums.

Only then will you be able to truly appreciate and find comfort in the reality that the player is the main factor of significance in playing a trumpet; not the equipment. I am convinced that 95% of what comes out of any horn is based on the ability of the player. If you can accept and believe that, then you will be able to focus 95% of your attention and energy on the player, and forget the rest.

Of course, a good horn and properly selected mouthpiece are necessary. These tools must be well-made, free from defects, and be able to assist and facilitate the player's technical and skills development or ability to perform at the optimum level. What is absolutely not necessary, and can even be counterproductive, is the so-called "equipment "safaris" with which many people become virtually obsessed.

Most horns are more alike than different. Most well known instrument manufacturers are competitive in regard to their products. I have played a variety of horns over a period of many, many years, and found them to be more alike than different. I sound virtually the same on all of them.

Vincent Bach once said that the choice of a suitable mouthpiece presents most players with a much greater challenge than the choice of instrument. I believe he was absolutely correct. In this regard, a mouthpiece with medium, middle of the road design characteristics is probably best for most players. That means somewhere in the Bach 3C to 7C range of diameters, depths, and rim designs. I sound and play VERY differently on different mouthpieces on the same horn.

There are those people who consider themselves collectors of horns. There are a few others who need to have a variety of instruments for the necessities of their playing situations.

Other than that, a good, well-made horn and properly selected mouthpiece is all anyone really needs.

I have found from experience that there is usually a big difference between a professional horn compared to a student line horn as to how they play and sound. I would advise any serious player who has or is working on developing good technical skills and abilities to choose and play a professional horn. It will not make any difference for someone in the beginning stages of learning to play.

95% of what comes out of any horn is based on the player, so my suggestion is to focus 95% of your energy and attention in that direction.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Look at the horns that well-known working pros play as their main instrument, preferably those in the genre of music you're interested in. Those are likely to be the better instrument choices, because they know what they're doing and can pick any trumpet they choose. Most of them will be more expensive instruments, though. For the rest of us, a good condition upper-level instrument made by a company with a good reputation (either new or vintage) is usually a safe bet for a quality instrument. Whether you will like it or not is a crap shoot, though, because one person's gem is another person's dog. Then there's the confusion created from oft-repeated old wives' tales and instrument reviews from unknown forum "experts" who, in reality, can't blow their way out of a paper bag. Like DaveH said, middle of the road equipment is always a good starting point, and is many times a good ending point. The rest is up to you to play the thing...

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Probably safe for a lifetime, unless.... , you hang around here and are infected with N+1!! :-o:-o:-o

10. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Ah, there's the rub,TL8:roll::oops::cool: