it drives me nucking futs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by skankin'dan, Nov 15, 2007.

1. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    it seems to me my playing has two modes: either really damn good or pretty damn lousy. I remember 2 days ago i can play all the way to dhg and everything in between( with good tone, and all that), but yesterday and today im struggling to make a high g sing and i can only barely hit high c. (and knowing me give it another day or 2 before I'm good to go again) I don't know wut it is but im hoping someone know's why something like this can b happening. All I do know know is the day before yesterday I played for an hour straight so maybe it's linked to playing to much?

2. DLP08

DLP08 New Friend

Sep 2, 2007
    I'm guessing that it is simply your practice habits.

Or maybe it's not so much that you are practicing bad, but maybe that the practice is inconsistent?

You say you practice for an hour, but what exactly do you do during that hour? Is it working on technique? Or is it wailing away to a new tune you learned thats in the stratosphere for an hour?

There could be many reasons for what's going on, but I am going to put my money on inconsistent practice habits.

3. derekkress

derekkress Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal Qc Canada
    Playing the horn will never be a breeze. We will always have highs and lows but being consistent and improving gradually is key! Most importantly do you study with a good private teacher? Guidance is key. If not it's hard to say what going wrong or right. For those who studied with Claude Gordon or one of his student's will fully understand this CHEST UP< BIG BREATH<TONGUE LEVELS!!!!Rest as much as you play between exercises! Good luck!

4. confuoco

confuoco Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2007
    Keep a practice / playing journal. I bet you will learn alot about yourself and your playing. Take a look at when things are going well and compare your notes.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    a very strong variation of what you can play is only a sign that your approach is not consistent AND that the habits required are not yet learned!
    A double G is not a good sign of consistency anyway as if you use too much muscle and not enough brain to get there, the muscles will let you down - very consistently!

I don't think that you are playing too much, I am sure you are practicing the wrong things. Even if you want to be the fastest, loudest, highest lead trumpet player there ever was, ONLY a solid foundation will get you there. That foundation is in the intelligent training of the first 2 1/2 octaves (low G to high C). If you have that down right, you will not need to define yourself with the quantity of double anything that you can "hit" in a day.

The key to success is getting smart earlier than the rest. What you are presently doing is not working. Why not try the stuff that is proven: good teacher, good routine, patience and hard work.

I am not very conservative, but I do find the title of this thread unnecessarily vulgar - even if you switched 2 letters.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  6. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Well put Rowuk.... Well put.

7. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007
    :)

I hear ya Dan.

-You feel like your skull's gonna split open with the mounting frustration. HAAAAAAAA- ....We all appreciate you making light of the heat you felt at the time. Brava.

C

8. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    It's happening to me right now because I changed mouthpiece, I think. I am building different chops muscles and depending on the tunes I play, after a while, I can lose some flexibility. I guess practicing more is the key. More as in more often. :)

9. westview1900

westview1900 Piano User

Nov 30, 2005
    I'm not sure who first said this, but it still applies:
    “The race is not always to the swift… but to those who keep on running”

10. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    Join the club. I'm trying to find myself as well. I do to much, then not enough. rowuk gives good advice. Keep moving forward. Use the brain.