It Looks Like

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Still Trying, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Still Trying

Still Trying Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2003
    Lake Jackson, TX USA
    My next job is going to be in the St Paul Area, and I will be living in a town called Eagan. Any body know about community bands or playing opportunities in the area? What about teachers-especially someone trained in Stamp techniques? Any help will be appreciated.

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Glad to hear you'll be around!!!

St. Paul?

You've got to be at least driving distance to Manny!!

Keep us posted.

-cw-

3. Still Trying

Nov 23, 2003
    Lake Jackson, TX USA
    Yeah, St. Paul is a long way from Texas, but at least you don't need a pass port to get there. I might have to buy a jacket. I'm told it gets cold there in the winter.

It's pretty close to the GR folks too. I'd like to make a little excursion over there, while I'm "in the neighborhood".

4. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    I live in Richfield, Minnesota, which is the first suburb south of Minneapolis, and west of the airport. Eagan is about 15 minutes southeast of here. Manny lives in Plymouth, which is on the northwest side of the metro. It takes me about 30-40 minutes to get to his house, so if you lived in Eagan, it would take you around 45-50 minutes.

I use the Stamp method regularly in my routine, but I would not consider myself an expert. I know how to do it, but I have never "taught" it to anyone.....

GR's shop is in Dousman, Wisconsin, which is a few minutes from the town I grew up in, Oconomowoc, which is about 30 miles west of Milwaukee. Unfortunately it is a 5-6 hour drive from Minneapolis.

Yes, it does get cold here. But that helps keep out the riff-raff......

:D

Mike

5. Lazorphaze

Lazorphaze Piano User

Feb 3, 2004
    That's a mouthfull.
    by the way, I live in Golden Valley if you want to come and laugh at my trumpet playing (by the way, I won't stop you, I know I suck.)
    Manny's about 15 minutes away. :D

6. Still Trying

Nov 23, 2003
    Lake Jackson, TX USA
    I never thought about how close I am going to be to Manny. That's great information. Thanks.

7. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Hey, I just remembered there's a fellow in town who knows the Stamp stuff pretty well. His name is Craig Hara and he's in the union book. I think you could get together with him and compare notes. He's very nice and a drummer as well. He's very involved with the recording Chuck Lazarus made that is for sale on this site. Yeah, call Craig.

ML

8. Still Trying

Nov 23, 2003
    Lake Jackson, TX USA
    Thanks, Manny.

I was recently in touch with my old college trumpet teacher, a fellow named Richard Burkart. He highly recommended the Stamp routines, but warned me that I really needed someone trained in those methods to get me started.

By the way, I've already told my wife we're going to start attending symphony concerts in Minnesota. I can't wait to see you perform.

Jesse Harbin