It never fails......

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by flugelgirl, Mar 3, 2016.

1. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I spend a lot of time working on my picc chops - everyone I've worked with knows this. They also know that I play a lot of gigs on my picc, yet every year around Easter, one of them asks to borrow it!! Seriously, what makes them think this is cool? These are the same folks who at any other time of year would never, ever ask to borrow any of my horns, because they know I didn't invest all this time and money in my equipment for their benefit. Any one else get this annoyance?

Peter McNeill likes this.
  2. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Take solace in the idea that they respect your talent to the point that they somehow think your instrument will make them a better player. Before you rudely just flat out refuse them, try to understand where they are coming from. This will help you to politely sidestep and save face for both of you. I am friends with a guy that has a phd in trumpet performance. He is constantly being asked for "favors" and it amazes me to watch him turn people down with such grace and kindness that they don't even realize what happened. I have yet to hear anyone utter a less than complimentary word about him, and you know how catty trumpet players can be about other players, especially the ones at the top of the chain. Good luck. Best wishes.

3. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Sort of like when you own a pick-up truck.

4. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Borrow a horn? Not on my watch.
    I made the mistake of letting my brother borrow mine. For a week.
    New rule: NOBODY borrows my truck.

5. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I have never been rude to themin return, but I am shocked at the rudeness of the request. Since they know that I regularly do picc work and have had regular Easter gigs for as long as I can remember, it's twice as rude to assume that my equipment is free for them to borrow. I always politely refuse, but am tired of being asked by folks who know better and can afford to buy their own. Also, piccolo requires regular practice! If my colleagues want to make asses out of themselves by trying to perform on a horn they don't practice, they won't be doing it on mine.

6. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Buy a cheap Indian one and lend them that one, they wont ask again.

Regards, Stuart.

7. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Stand your ground, because you are right.

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I happily "loan out" some horns to a few people. 2 guys in particular I am more than happy to rotate horns. But this is because I trust them, and I know that the horns are both played and kept in top condition, and can get them back within 24 hours. My top shelf horns generally don't leave me though.

I have also been bitten, and have a Monette Prana MFIII mouthpiece, that has been "out" for almost 12 months now, and was loaned as a short term try out. I have played with the guy twice in this time, and strongly hinted last time that I wanted it back. He commented to me (at Xmas) that it was sitting in his top drawer and he has not tried it out... so I am pissed with this, and he gets nothing more to try from me. I will probably call in a favour to even up the score to settle accounts. He is a top player, busy, but no excuses - he is slack.

I also have a Superbone out, and I dropped that off at the guys house (6 years ago), he knows at least 2 bands I play in, and I have chased it 3 times as well. He was playing with me at the time when I loaned it to him. He has made no effort to return, so an A-hole IMO. I told him I needed it back when I went back to Trombone in a Big band and Trad Band, about 3 years ago and he was happy to hand it over if I travelled into town to one of his gigs, and he has really made no contact since. I expect it has not been maintained, and shoved in a corner somewhere after being flogged out. This will never get squared up. But today I will follow up -again.

In the scheme of things, I am still happy to help out where I can, with people I know well. The Superbone experience has made me more wary, but also in the scheme of things it is only one guy.

I still have 4 other horns out at the moment. A Bach Strad L bore, a Jupiter Flugel, a Bb trumpet, and a plastic Tromba. They are to trusted guys. Here in Oz it is difficult to try gear unless you go to a specific shop, so for playing-friends it is no sweat to let them have a short term loan of a horn, or a bit of kit. My reasonable time for loan is probably shortened by the experience, and the expected return more clearly spelt out up front.

So to answer your question, Yes I get annoyed by A-holes, but not by peers who respect the gear, use it for the gig, then hand it back. Or will get it back to me when I ask for it. Life is too short for me to stress over things, if I can help a mate I will. I will also never make the same mistake with a anyone twice.

9. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I have adopted a strict rule--no one borrows one of my horns. The only time I have loaned a horn was when I was hospitalized and had to back out of a gig at the last minute. I took it upon myself to find a replacement and loaned out my Eb for that one gig and got it back almost immediately. I don't loan because I never know when I'm going to need one of my horns, and don't want to be in the position of having to turn down a gig because someone else has the horn I need.

10. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    The safe thing for me is that I basically only play one horn and that's the Getzen Eterna. That and the Bach TR300, which no one really would need to borrow either. I'm on the other side of the coin, and have on occasion borrowed a C Trumpet from my section mate in Band......I always get it back to him in a timely fashion, and he was the one who first suggested I try it. So guilty as charged...
    By the way, are you using your C this Easter? Just messing with you!:lol:

Peter McNeill likes this.