It never fails......

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by flugelgirl, Mar 3, 2016.

1. ATrumpetDude

ATrumpetDude Piano User

Sep 15, 2015
    I only loan equipment out if I am fully prepared to have it ruined or lost because that is likely what will happen, lesson finally learned from multiple experiences. Some people are really bold about asking to borrow things, and it seems like the type of people that have no qualms about borrowing expensive equipment also are the type of people that give little thought to taking good care of it. Maybe others have observed the same.

Nowadays I would never loan out one of gig horns (or guitars), including my picc. I do still loan some things out if there is a need, and usually it is at my suggestion, but in my mind I consider it likely to be a gift and not a loan. I don't think I've ever asked to borrow an instrument from someone, I had a teacher that very generously lent me an Eb trumpet in H.S. to play the usual stuff on, but I know I didn't ask them to.

2. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I am always happy to let people try my horns - I have some stuff that not everyone has, and it's always fun to play and compare. I've loaned out a couple of inexpensive Bbs to friends, with both good and bad results. I'll never loan out my primary gigging horns to anyone, though, for many reasons. I would be tempted to get a TSO to hand out the next time someone asks, but I hate to support that market! I'll probably just continue to smile and say no while I call them dumbasses under my breath, but it sure feels nice to vent! :-D

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Flugelgirl, it is most likely that I do not play my Schilke P5-4 as well as you play yours, but I'll be dead before it leaves my possession. My late brother bought it and sent it to me just 4 weeks before he died. My purpose of wanting one was to transpose the C piccolo part of Sousa's The Stars and Stripes, Forever!. I've since transposed a lot of violin parts.

4. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
  5. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    OH, now this is the best part - now I found out the person who asked to borrow it was asking for someone ELSE - someone I've never met!! Are you KIDDING me??? Like I would even hand over my cheapest horn to someone I've never met!!! Someone is off my friend list right now..... :x

6. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Wow, that does take nerve. Best wishes.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Dizzy said "Oops is too late". My main horns can be tried out in my studio or during a rehearsal with me, but my only "loaner" is a pocket trumpet for any of my students when they are on vacation and really want to play.

Borrowing for a third party is so uncool - especially not being up front about it. Makes me think that if something happened to the horn, no one would accept responsibility.

I think that you were correct in not taking a risk with one of your main horns.

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    No that is not right at all.... a complete broken trust deal.

I too would be angry.
    Well I broke the ice with the Superbone, so hopefully next week I can pick it up. Thanks for helping to get me off my ass.:-)

9. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    I can't even imagine anyone who would ask a professional to borrow one of their instruments and then "re-loan" it to someone else. That is lower than dirt. The credited response to this question is "HELL NO." If you are, by nature, more diplomatic than that, just say that you have a gig coming up and need to practice for it on the picc every single day and must therefore reluctantly decline their request.

10. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I don't understand all the drama. ("Drama is too strong a work but it's late and I can't think of a milder substitute.) If it's a technical piece of equipment and it's expensive, where's the problem in saying "no"?