It never fails......

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by flugelgirl, Mar 3, 2016.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    The only thing we can control is our own behavior. No real point in getting all worked up over what others say or do. Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom....

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If you know me, please don't ask me how I am when you greet me. You should know I'm surviving, and if I'm not and you hear me reply, you're as dead as I am. I suppose that also applies when I write here.

3. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    "To tell you the truth"

OK, so now you're going to tell me the truth. It's all been lies up until now?

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Well I picked up my SuperBone this morning, had a good chat over a hot cup of coffee. Shared war stories, and family catch ups. Amazing how time flies.

Oh Yeah, the horn has been kept in perfect order, even the cleaning rod in place, and the 2 mouthpieces. I have no regrets, except that I should have followed up earlier.

Thanks again for the motivation, and for me clearing the air with my friend.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think that asking about time and your health conditions don't fit the spirit of the thread as you cannot borrow or forget to return them.

I think this thread is more about the disadvantages of being generous with people you consider to be friends. We also cover tactical considerations. If this were about pet peeves, it would not be general trumpet, rather lounge material.

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I got burnt a couple of times in my more gullible thirties by friends/family asking if I could let them have an instrument at a nominal cost for one of their little darlings to learn on, to save them having to fork out for a new instrument.

Both cases, I asked some time later how 'little x' was getting on, only to discover that he'd given up so they'd sold it. And they couldn't understand why I was hacked off with them not asking first whether I'd like it back. Never again!

Peter McNeill likes this.
  7. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Those "tactical considerations" are certainly part of my equation. I have a massive concert in June (about 30 Broadway tunes) and our 4 trumpets are now down to Moi!! One has just had braces fitted, another just had cranium surgery, and the 3rd has a Overseas Vacation. I will be putting in to get some help from these guys that owe me a few favours. So the books will get balanced.

8. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I bought my niece's first trumpet for her with the agreement that if she stops playing, I get it back. A year and a half later she's earning her first upgrade. She has to keep a practice log that I see every lesson, and also has to be nice to her family and do chores when asked. If she can keep it up til school ends, she gets an Olds Studio. So far she's still very motivated! I will take that one back if she stops playing, too, but both are hers to keep if she continues to play.

9. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA

Well, one's just as good as another, right? Some are gold, some are silver-ish, you put a little round thing in the end and it makes a horrific noise, some might even say bloody sounds.
    Now, stated and mutually agreed terms are another story.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    When my niece was going into her sophomore year in HS, she was very excited about playing trumpet and was reportedly getting pretty good at it, but she was still playing on her old Holton student model trumpet. At the time I had a Bach Strad LB/25 that was just sitting in the case, and had been for a while, so I gave it to her. What I didn't stipulate was that at some point, if she stopped playing, it might be pretty cool to get it back. She has been out of HS for a couple of years and still has the horn, and although I've brought it up, she seems somewhat attached to it, even though she hasn't played it in some time. It's kind of a bummer for me because at the very least, it would be nice to have it back as trade fodder for something else, but it is what it is - I did give it to her, and I can't exactly take back a gift, regardless of whether or not she's using it. She may decide to sell it somewhere down the road - she's 21 now, so it isn't like money is flowing for her, and the price she could get for it isn't exactly chump change.