It never fails......

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by flugelgirl, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    Maybe you could "borrow it back" from her? Sort of like, "Hey. I've got a gig coming up that is just perfect for that Bach. My other horns just aren't right. Could I borrow it back for a little while?"

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    That's actually not too far from the truth - I love my 1600i Roger Ingram for the majority of the work I do, which definitely leans toward the commercial side, but I could use the darker compactness of the Strad for some of the legit work I've been doing as of late. It's too late for Easter though - it's right around the corner, and I wouldn't want to do a gig on that horn without having had some more time to assimilate to it.

3. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    I have many horns, most not worth too much. (I basically play only one myself, and I pay to play, not vice-versa.) The lists of who I would loan to, and what I might loan out are both short, and not all permutations are acceptable! And yes, never loan out what you can't afford to lose. And both parties need to be very, very clear on the expectations up front. That keeps the heartache to a minimum.

Hmm, here's an idea: Don't loan, rent! It's $1 for the agreed-upon-up-front term, and $X a day after that. Don't be shy on the X, either. :-)

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    How did I miss this thread?? Oh, I was in Bermuda!!! :D

I've never loaned horns but I have loaned mpcs. The results can be the same. A player wanted to try one of my mpcs and I agreed. I had more of the same size. He wanted to try before you buy. A couple of weeks go by and he REALLY likes it, but he can't find any (see where this is going?). I mentioned they where on "the bay" regularly and usually under $30 at the time. "Cool", he said, "but can I use this until I get one"? I agreed. Time goes by and so do the mpcs on e-Bay, at reasonable prices. I ask if he got one yet? Of course the answer was to the affect of, "Oh missed it, too busy to look, don't have money right now, computer's been down, blah, blah, blah". Finally told him I needed it back for a project, which was true. He replied, "NOW"??!! He became incensed that I wanted it back since I had others of the same size!!! I stood my ground and it was returned. To this day (9 yrs later!!!), he's never bought "THE ONE" he said he had to have and they can still be found on e-Bay.

5. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Lucky dog, my wife loves that island. I'm of the "if you've seen one, you've seen 'em all" mentality, but they LOVE Virginians.

6. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    If only I could say that about New Jersey, sniff, sniff, sob, sob.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Don't sniff too hard! :roll:

8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Don't worry, I actually get a fairly good reception when I visit other states.....they're happy to see me............leave

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
  10. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Exposing myself here as one of the borrowers, but I am not leaving him in the cold, he's a singer and he's doing that for Easter. It's a Bach Strad Canadian Brass Custom C....I am getting acclimated to it now. I will have it back to him in better condition than how I got it, that's a promise.