It took a while but I finally think in concert pitch.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ckkphoto, Mar 17, 2013.

1. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I beg to differ on the Eb issue. When working upward from a Bb to a picc, I consider the Eb essential. Everything I learnt for picc was acquired playing Eb Soprano Cornet in a Brass Band.
    I had done years of C playing in a concert pitch band without any direct results for my picc playing. But I admit that once you have gained control of your picc, you might be able to advantageously sell the Eb.
    Or you might go for a compromise and get a high G. ideal for all the Baroque stuff originally written in D...

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The Schilke F/G would be a good but pricey choice.

3. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    i KNOW WHERE A Bach Gold Plated G is sitting in the window......heheheheee

4. ckkphoto

ckkphoto Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2013
    Northwest Georgia
    yeah, its gonna be a while before I can cobble that many rupies together. That's okay. All things in due time.

5. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Count me among the Great Unwashed who bought a picc before any other higher-pitched trumpet. I made money playing the picc before I owned any other higher-pitched trumpet.

Not only do I still own the first picc I bought, I'm still happy with it. Probably because it's the only piccolo trumpet I've *ever* played. Almost 29 years ago I bought my college instructor's Getzen Eterna picc -- he'd just bought a new Selmer and couldn't imagine playing the Getzen again. He was so disenchanted with the Getzen he sold it to me for $300. By that time I'd heard him play both, and while the Selmer sounded different, it didn't sound better -- at least to my ears.

A year later he tried to buy it back from me. That was enough to convince me I'd never need to upgrade, though I did invest in Blackburn leadpipes around 10 years later.

I'm sure there are better piccs out there, but I'm equally sure I don't make enough money playing picc to justify buying one. I'm happy with the Getzen, and nobody who pays me for playing it has complained.

So for almost 30 years I've let other players play the Getzen, all while (hopefully graciously) declining any offer to play any other picc. Here's to another 30 years of happy ignorance.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It was a simple discussion with my late brother as to why I didn't produce a multi-brass recording of The Stars and Stripes, Forever! when I told him I couldn't play a C piccolo for the solos near the end and ddn't have a piccolo trumpet to transpose the solos to. Just about 4 weeks before my brother died, I received a Schilke P5-4 picc from him. There was no papers with it, thus I don't know if it was new or not, but it sure looked new. It was nearly a year later that I made the SSF recording. Yes, I said solos ... plural because the solo is reprised almost at the end, but it irks me that you won't hear it on the USMC rendition as they crescendoed the basses and drums at the end. Sousa didn't write such a crescendo!

The picc is a delicate playing instrument that the player should not over blow or attempt to scream with. I've since only used it to play two other songs, Hallelujah Chorus and Charge Of The Light Brigade, but I have practiced chromatic scales regularly with it.