It works

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jason_boddie, Jan 5, 2009.

1. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    So, I made my Reunitz practice mute, it works. However, as I made it I had a blonde/ redneck/not smart moment.

As we have all seen it calls for super glueing a part back to the mute. Well I could not get the tube of super glue to puncture. So, I did what allmen in my family do when we can't get something open. I used my teeth. Well, I am still peeling super glue out of my mouth, from behind my teeth, the roof of my mouth, inbetween my teeth, off ofmy lips. It pretty much sucks.

I feel like the kid from "Christmas Story" that put his tongue on the frozen flag pole.

I welcome any and all post calling me a dumb ass......

edcon1981 likes this.
  2. tunefultrumpet

tunefultrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2008
    New Zealand
    you're ahead of the game in my book...you made a DIY mute instead of buying one..

3. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    wow, that's bad... but i'll make you feel better.

about twelve years ago (was fifteen at the time) i was using a hot glue gun to re-line my trumpet case with new fabric. well as i was sitting indian style in shorts, no socks, no shoes, i picked up the hot gun and went to apply some to the case. unfortunately i did not realize how "free flowing" hot glue can get and i accidentally dumped a silver dollar size amount of glue on the inside of my left ankle. genius me instead of using a towel or something to wipe the glue off of my blistering ankle i used what? my right hand. so as a result i wound up with a blistered ankle, blistered palm to my right hand, and a laughing family.

i'll leave you positive rep for being in a horrible glue accident. hope that helps :D

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Great job Jason! I have a remutesit too!! I traded a fellow trumpeter my old RingMute for it. What he did was to basically take out the stinky stuff, put the bottom back on and instead of cork he used about a one inch piece of bicycle tire tube and slipped it round the top. I really like it because it adds another layer (or if you're a guitar player, another knob) to my sound.

5. bobmiller1969

bobmiller1969 Pianissimo User

Dec 13, 2008
    Mays Landing, New Jersey
    How has the crazy glue in your mouth affected your playing? Sorry, but your story is really funny. That has to suck! If I had a nickel for every time I did something like that, I could buy a new Prana Anja.

6. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Keep glue and glue tubes out of mouth.

7. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I think you should keep your lips sealed on this one.

(sorry, *somebody* had to make a really bad pun)

8. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Does the glue help you keep your corners locked down ?

Sorry guys but I had to get that one in !

Hoghorn

9. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    yea, yea, yea keep em coming. I am happy to say that there were no residual effects of the glue. However, I can't seem to get the glue out from inbetween, and behind the teeth. But, there is a positive to that.

Even though I am a southerner I don not have to worry about my teeth falling out.....:)

10. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    So...if the glue doesn't effect your playing...does it help you "stick" the high notes?!