ITG in Amherst

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpethack, Feb 19, 2007.

1. trumpethack

trumpethack Pianissimo User

Jun 1, 2006
    Massachusetts
    Hey Everyone,

I was talking to Eric Berlin yesterday about ITG this summer (I just finished my Master's with him back in May as one of his grad TA's). Let me say from a personal stand point I know Eric has been working his butt of getting this conference ready and it is going to be one NOT to miss!

If you havn't already looked at the poster and the line up check it out... It's big name after big name the whole week. You go from hearing Chris Martin to Wayne Bergeron... And Chris has two things... a recital and a master class! That's worth it right there...

The venue is nice too. There should be plenty of seating for all the big events and there won't be any back to back shows in the same room. So there will always be time after to go talk to the artists if you want and not have to worry about clearing out for the next show.

Amherst is really nice that time of year and there are alot of great little places to eat downtown and in Northhampton. My personal favorite is Antonio's Pizza in downtown Amherst. If you go to the conference and don't go there you missed out on the best part of the week... ;)

Just wanted to write a little heads up about the conference. I know it's months away but after talking to Eric about it for a half hour I'm already looking forward to it. Hope to see you all there.

Matt

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Thanks for the info Matt!

The question on everyone's lips....

Is there a restaurant that has curry?

-cw-

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Don't forget that Manny Laureano is on that list as well.

4. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    This question NEEDS an answer

5. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think there is a decent Indian place in Amherst. We'll have to all check it out, right? ;)

6. trumpethack

trumpethack Pianissimo User

Jun 1, 2006
    Massachusetts
    That's right Manny's gonna be there to. I didn't mean to leave him out... There's just gonna be so many great acts to see that to mention them all would be redundant....check the poster!

For anyone that's never been to a conference or maybe just one, let me say again this one's worth coming out to. Especially for college and high school students. If you meet just one great player, get just one piece of great advice, it can literally change the rest of your "trumpet life". The artists are usually more than happy to talk to young players and give them advice/inspiration. That's why they go to these things. If you like talking to the artists on this forum, going to the conference will be like this times 100...

It's good to get out there and see the guys who are doing what you're studying to do. And all the guys that will be there this year are fantastic models of what to be striving for. I know my practicing and aspirations were profoundly shaped by some of the people and experiences I had at ITG(s). If you don't live in a big city this is a great way to see amazing players for really a very cheap price when you consider the possibilities of what you could learn, if you look for it...

Matt

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    It is of the utmost importance! :D

8. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm sure none are on the level of Leigh's favorite spots but they'll be some close ones.
    Can we schedule a TM night? I'm probably going to only be around a couple days..

Best,

T

0.28 miles (0 ratings) New India Restaurant
    413-253-4200 • 17 Kellogg Ave, Amherst,MA 01002
    Driving Directions | Maps | More6.65 miles (1 rating) India Palace Restaurant
    413-584-4892 • 28 Main St, Northampton,MA 01060
    Driving Directions | Maps | More6.90 miles (3 ratings) India House
    413-586-6344 • 45 State St, Northampton,MA 01060
    Driving Directions | Maps | More15.64 miles (0 ratings) Khazana Indian Restaurant
    413-599-0999 • 2133 Boston Rd # 1, Wilbraham,MA 01095
    Driving Directions | Maps | More18.96 miles (4 ratings) Sitar Restaurant
    413-732-8011 • 1688 Main St, Springfield,MA 01103
    Driving Directions | Maps | More19.11 miles (6 ratings) Pintus Indian Restaurant
    413-788-4929 • 217 Elm St # N, PO Box 14, West Springfield,MA 01089

9. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Very good! TM curry hang!

10. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Papdams and Cobra beer for 30 to 40 please? :lol: (if we do make a hang at an Indian place, we must make sure to notify the poor guys before we show up)