ITG Journal Article

Discussion in 'Wise Talk!' started by MahlerBrass, Oct 6, 2005.

1. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Hey there Mr. Wise, I got my ITG Journal in today, I just wanted to let you know that the article on you is fantastic! Very inspirational stuff!

2. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    Wilmer,

I also received my copy of the ITG Journal yesterday. What a great article! With all of the conversations that we have had over the last several years on this orchestra rosters project, I felt like I knew the majority of the players that you mentioned in the article. It was great to see how all of the pieces fit together. I really liked the part about Sam Krauss and Arnold Jacobs being roommates in school. With the influence of Tabuteau in their early years, no wonder the Song and Wind message reached out so strongly to brass players in different parts of the country!

The one thing that caught me off guard was the fact that you had studied with Nat Prager. I’ve only heard bits and pieces about what a marvelous player and teacher he was, and your words just add to that. If you have any other recollections, I would certainly like to read about them!

I’m also interested in adding the Brooklyn Philharmonic to our orchestra project. What were your years of tenure there? I think it’s very interesting that I’ve had the opportunity to work briefly with Michael Christie and he is now at the helm in both Phoenix and Brooklyn. If you’ve not met him yet, I think you’ll enjoy him. The rehearsal that he conducted for this “community play-in†that the PSO sponsored was very well received. Who is the current section in the Brooklyn Philharmonic? I wasn’t able to find any details at the web site.

Well, thanks again. Truly, you have had an amazing career!

3. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I played Principal Trumpet from 1970-2003. The Brooklyn Philharmonic is a free lance orchestra, so it is hard to pin down a personnel list. I played the bulk of the concerts over that period, but occasionally I had a schedule conflict that could not be resolved.
    I played with great players in the BPO over the years. Phil Ruecktenwald, Ed Carrol, Wynton, Dave Krauss, Dave Bilger, Jim Stubbs, Neil Balm, Hank Nowak, Rich Kelly, Wayne du Maine, Jim Pandolfi, Bob Haley just to name a few.
    We premiered works of John Adams, Philip Glass, Lukas Foss and Lou Harrison.
    We did more American works than just about anyone.
    Lukas Foss, Dennis Russell Davies and Robert Spano were the conductors of the Brooklyn Philharmonic while I was in the orchestra.

Wilmer

4. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    :x

man i wish i would have checked my mail yesterday....that would have gave me something to read tonight as i wait for the football game :-(

5. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Those of you that have not seen the newest ITG need to check it out. Not only to they interview Wimler but they also talk with Will Scarlett.

There is also a little write up about Trumpetmaster.

6. oj

oj Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2005
    Norway
    Wilmer,

Ole from Norway here!

As I already said over in Manny's section, it was great to read the interview (and see the nice picture of you).

You (if I'm correct?) and I, have been on TPIN for about 10 years now, and you are one of the poster I've appreciated most. I will now try to get the "West Side Story" DVD with Bernstein to be able both to watch him, you and the rest of the musicians. But also because the music is so great.

Btw, a long, long time ago, I saw Lenny on TV with the New York Phil. - pedagogocal concerts for kids. It was great, and I kind of understand why you had a great time with him.

Best wishes,

Your Internet friend, Ole

7. Bob Odneal

Bob Odneal Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Hello Wilmer,

I saw in the ITG article you worked with Johnny Coles. He was on the Ray Charles band when I was with Ray. He was very helpful to this young, nervous kid. I wondered if you ever worked with my good friend who reccomended me to Ray, Willie Cook?