ITG - Michael Sachs & Post Horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ROGERIO, Jun 19, 2006.

1. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Does anyone recall the manufacturer of the POST HORN Sachs used during his masterclass?

I asked and never wrote it down. All I can remember is that he picked it up in Cologne... and if memory serves me it was made in Chech.

And... didn't you all love his sound regardless of what he was playing?

The orchestral finalists sounded great... but then Sachs would play and heads started turning and eyes bulged out in excitement (audience that is).

The Q&A got a little weird towards the end... I swear I thought someone was going to ask what type of valve oil he uses... :lol:

2. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Yes...his sound melted me. I guess that's why he is where he is though, eh?

3. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    Rogerio,

I went back and read through the review of the Michael Sachs class at this years ITG conference and then found my review of his class in Denver in 2004. It sounds like this was (again) a true highlight of the conference.

My favorite quote from this year’s reporter was:

I’m glad you had a chance to hear this masterclass. It was one of my favorites in Denver!

4. mstrpt

mstrpt New Friend

Jan 1, 2006
    Thanks for the nice comments on my seminar....

The posthorn I used on the Mahler #3 is by Furst Pless. They make both ones with valves and ones with no valves. Originally Szell found one without valves in the mid-60's for Bernie to use on the Mozart posthorn serenade and they had a small adapter made for it to go into A (the horn is originally in Bb). The orchestra owns it so when I got this job I inherited it...The sound on it is amazing so when I saw one by the same maker with valves on a trip to Cologne a number of years ago it drew my attention and eventually I was able to go back and find one later. Google "Furst Pless Posthorn" and you'll be led to a number of ones without valves on german e-bay and other sources....

Take care,
    MS

5. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    M,

Thank you for the info. It's nice to know you keep an eye on things here at TM.

Enjoying your CD very much. Gets me through the work day... which is a non musical work day! Never thought of doing the Neruda with Organ. Suits the piece very well. I especially enjoy your phrasing on the second movement. Beautiful stuff.

I hope you continue your support of ITG. What a treat for us to have you, Susan S., Frank K. and a few others at the same conference. Next year I hope you can find the time to do a recital!

What was that saying of yours again, "same horn, same person..." ???

Great weekend and summer!

Rogerio

6. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    M,

I have to second what Rogerio said. I really hope you can find the time to do a recital and another master class at the next ITG (or one soon in the future). Everything you did was so informative, enjoyable and inspiring. Thank you. Oh, and I really like your method book as well! Great job!

7. mstrpt

mstrpt New Friend

Jan 1, 2006
    The saying I think is "same music, same horn, same person"......The idea being that only the context of what we are playing changes. Whether you're playing at home in your practice space, or on stage at a big concert, or playing an audition, those three variables don't change. It's all about mental approach and confidence- You're playing the same notes on the same horn with the same person behind it. if you can do it well at home in the practice room, you can do it anywhere else you happen to be if you can release yourself from the added burden of thinking too much about the context of the momemt.

8. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    This is most interesting as I just got the whole posthorn story at the mainly Mozart in San Diego. The principle trumpet gave a nice talk on it before the serenade about how the piece is rarely done due to a shortage of posthorns . He went through a company in Germany and tracked one to Tucson that he soon found (after four smelly days)had a dead lizard in it.He spoke of a modification to get it to tune.Very beautiful sound.

9. loweredsixth

loweredsixth Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2005
    Fresno, California, USA
  10. trombapaul

trombapaul Pianissimo User

Sep 30, 2004
    Detroit, MI
    "same music, same horn, same dude!" :-P

Josef Lidl makes a similar posthorn. It's a slightly tighter wrap but still pitched
    in Bb, right hand drive for trumpeters (it's NOT a piccolo french horn as some
    folks have called it), and has a very unique, warm sound that carries quite
    nicely through the orchestra. I use a Bach 1B trumpet piece. I'd love to try a
    Tilz piece but finding anyone that carries them is next to impossible. My Lidl
    is on the left and the Furst Pless is on the right.

[​IMG] [​IMG]