It's a STRIKE (again!)

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Pascalouisiana, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Pascalouisiana

Pascalouisiana Mezzo Piano User

Aug 29, 2015
    Abbeville, LA
    I had been looking at this King Silvertone "Commodore" cornet 1928 Silvertone , King Commodore model, Cornet | eBay, that went a little bit cheaper 1928 Silvertone , King Commodore model, Cornet | eBay, then the seller put it at $100 with a BIN at $300. I sent a message to the seller saying I had $175 to spend AND HE ACCEPTED MY OFFER!!!! 1928 Silvertone , King Commodore model, Cornet | eBay

1.jpg 4.jpg 7.jpg 1929.jpg 1931.jpg

Status: Sterling silver bell, all slides free and smooth, valves and rotor in excellent condition (with perfect compression), a very few little dings. Lifton case in very good condition.

Playability: Exceptional! WOW! Medium bore, though. Don't push too hard, but super easy playing up and down (super up high: my limit is double C and I had no problem to go there). I had trouble to nail the pedal C and down. I might have to look for the right MP to match it. It came with a very nice Courtois MP, with a very small throat and shallow cup. If I would have to play everything between medium C and what ever above, I would for sure use it!!

Warning! I bought it on March 8th, and the seller only shipped it 3 days ago. I received it today. I had to open a case for him to send it. Actually, I thought it was a scam where he will send the money back after a certain period of time, using the customer (me) as a "pay day loan company".

In conclusion: Beware of 1st time sellers. Definitely a KEEPER.

2. Pascalouisiana

Aug 29, 2015
    Abbeville, LA
    I'll send better pics after I clean it...

3. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Antalya, Turkey
    you guys are helpless ROFL Have fun anyway...or whatever your family thinks of it.

4. Pascalouisiana

Aug 29, 2015
    Abbeville, LA
    ROFL
    The think is, I'm not a professional player. I have a real job ROFL! I only use the money I make from gigs to water my N+1 virus. That's the deal.

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Antalya, Turkey
    Where I live, I make more money than most people with "real" jobs do. So, everything is subjective. I buy only horns I can use in my job. And often can spend time learning aobut makers, instruments and asking questions up to 2-3 years before I dumb some serious cash.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    If that was my rule, I'd be stuck with an Olds Ambassador for life.... a serious drought here!
    Well, if I get petrol money I'm happy. The real job paid for the hobby, the hobby feeds the soul, and creates a better attitude for the real job - some value here I am sure. Well my wife believes me, so that's all that matters.

7. Pascalouisiana

Aug 29, 2015
    Abbeville, LA
    Great! Three different ways of seeing things. Diversity makes open one's eyes to different aspects of life.

8. Osren

Osren Mezzo Forte User

Oct 17, 2010
    Mesa, Az
    Congrats Pascalouisiana.... good job doing your internet homework ahead of time! ;)

9. OldSchoolEuph

OldSchoolEuph Mezzo Forte User

Apr 1, 2011
    Michigan
    Wow, that would have been a good price for a commander without the silver bell. With, it's a steal.

Made 1928-1936, the Commander was a top of the line King that never sold well because of the Depression. It, like the Martin New Professional (a horn interestingly made by Martin in 1927 as a fake and cheap silvertone (nickel bell) to compete with White), used the latest technology to incorporate a quick change A valve without the usual increased resistance - the placement adjacent to the valves was this breakthrough.

A rare bit of horn tech, a rare collectible, and a top player for its day.

10. Pascalouisiana

Aug 29, 2015
    Abbeville, LA
    Here are some pictures...
    IMG_20170326_141557.jpg IMG_20170326_141622.jpg IMG_20170326_141651.jpg IMG_20170326_141737.jpg

Far from perfect, some repairs, dings and inconsistent color (~95% raw brass, but I decided to keep what was left of it). After all, it's from 1929! and the valves, rotor and slides are flawless. I intend to keep it in this (as found but clean) condition.
    I don't think that the receiver is original. It bears a number on it "512". Any idea?
    Beside that, the same serial number is all over the horn (valve casing, valves, top caps, main slide). The valves and their stems are numbers (1,2,3)