Its Chica again!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_chica, Nov 20, 2005.

1. trmpt_chica

trmpt_chica New Friend

Jun 29, 2005
    CALIFORNIA BABY!
    hello how is everyone?? hope everyone is in tip-top condition! well i wanted to update u all on my band and myself (that sounded really concieted but i like your comments and i like to hear how u all are doing yourselves) well i believe my band is 3rd or 4th in our division (even though to make us push ourselves are band teacher says were in 11th even though were in like 4th) my whole life has been band for umm lets says the whole school yr. In symphonic band were learning all our scales and i have a test on the top 4 sharp scales coming up. Im doing much better on my trumpet and have made friends with our Brass instructor Rudy Arevalos (i think maybe some of u might know him?) although for about 2 weeks i couldnt play correctly cause my lips had gone dry when playing really loud and the flesh from my top lip ripped right off and i bled a whole bunch...i could barely play a C in the staff :c6: ....but now i can play above the staff and i always keep my lips moist now....heheheheh ive also found my first true crush in band.... :wub: we hosted our Bands own tournament yesterday and he sent me a flower saying he likes me too but he's not ready for a realationship yet and I totally respect that (he said maybe in the future something might happen.. :oops:) band has given me sooo much and I wanted to thank u again for the advice...so hows the world of Manny and his Friends?

~rebecca~

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear Chiquita,

We've missed you! Glad you're back to playing after your mishap. Hope the California weather has been good to you.

ML

3. trmpt_chica

trmpt_chica New Friend

Jun 29, 2005
    CALIFORNIA BABY!
    meh the weather is there and its hard for the brass....some practices it was sooo hot i could barely get sound out of my trumpet...then at all our competitions it was sooo cold we have to put warm air through our horns and alot of us got quiet out of tune on a really cold night. then the wind sometimes would make it so hard to play we would breath in air everytime we breathed....But how are u? what have u been doing Manny? besides trumpetmaster.com.
    have u visited California in a while? u should go to SCSBO championships but i know you'll porbably be really busy with the Holidays and all...maybe one of my yrs in marching band you can come and visit over here!

~rebecca~

4. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh

well I hope so!! ;-)

you should try some Ohio weather!!

Glad you're doin well!

Martin

5. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear Chica,

I missed your last post, I'm sorry.

I'm doing just fine and enjoying doing a lt of new things this year. You remember that I was given a new job for just this year, right? The assistant conducting/cover conducting. I've enjoyed it thoroughly and have learned a tremendous amount about our orchestra.

I have been busy with the Youth Orchestra as well and they were marvelous! I love those kids, they work very hard to play well and they have my admiration.

Some very happy news is that I'll be travelling to Puerto Rico in January to be an artist in residence at the Conservatorio for a week. That means I'll get to eat my mom's food for a whole week! YES! Oh, yeah, I have to teach and play some concerts, too, whatever.

I hope you have a nice TG, Chica. G-d Bless.

ML

6. trmpt_chica

trmpt_chica New Friend

Jun 29, 2005
    CALIFORNIA BABY!
    Mr Martin i meant to say dirt its was soo windy and the field was sooo dry that we would breath in dirt every time we breathed...heh...ive never been to Ohio i really want to visit now...Mr. Laureano thats great that you get to eat your mothers cooking for a whole week!! i had to help with TG but hey its something ill miss when im older... WOW its soo cool that you get paid to do something you love! and you get to work with talented young musicians! You think there will be future Manny's in the orchestra? well I wish you health and love for the holiday season...

~rebecca~
    P.s. any one have any ideas what to get a drummer boy for christmas? i have no ideas what to get him but i think maybe you could help Thanks!

7. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I'll have to think about it... give me a day or so. Or maybe Patrick and a couple of the guys that play drums might have better ideas than I.

ML

8. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Chica...It's nice to "hear" from you again. Glad to see things are going well for you.

Hmm...a drummer.....sticks? Nah. Too obvious. Neil Peart's DVD "A Work in Progress"...maybe... might be a bit costly, though. If I was a hs drummer, I'd want multiple copies of that. You can find it here:

www.neilpeart.net

Or any of his books. He's written three.

A new DVD by him, Anatomy of a Drumsolo, also looks great.

If you've been dating your drummer for a while you probably know that most drummers (at least the ones I know) almost worship Neil. Heck, I'm not one and I think he's amazing.

9. trmpt_chica

trmpt_chica New Friend

Jun 29, 2005
    CALIFORNIA BABY!
    I was actually thinking sticks at first but then i rememeber at disneyland they have light up sticks which light up when u hit them...but you cant use them cause their too heavy to really use them and i dont think you would want to break them...but its the thought that counts right? well im thinking of getting him a CD by Neil pert...but i did find out that he really like baseball....gosh..this is really embarrasing...but im not like really dating him.... :oops: were sort of just keeping it low...his parents are mad at me for likeing their son....so i think the Cd wouldnt draw too much attention...
    i think he'll get me valve oil for a gift or a stuffed animal...I would love either as a gift!
    thanks!
    ~rebecca~

10. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I think a CD is a very appropriate gift at your age. It's thoughtful and not expensive. He'll enjoy it and appreciate that you went to the trouble.

ML