It's going to be a long show.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Double_G, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    Ok, my band directors are great people and great musicians. They have picked a wonderful show that has been titled "That 70's Show". Our half line-up is as follows: We're a American Band, Vehicle, Jesus is Just Alright (With Me), and Nights in White Satin; all arranged by Jay Dawson and published by Arranger Publishing Company. They let us hear all of the recordings and they all sound great. Now the issue...it's LONG. It's a very LONG show. I will probably have a least one solo and a duet with our first trumpet in the last song ALONE. Not to mention solo opportunities in other pieces as well as a improv solo in Vehicle. Should be fun, but endurance is an issue.

This is where you guys come in at. Go any tips for being able to make it through the entire show with something left for the stand afterwards and still play ot my full potential and not sound awful later or regret it Saturday morning and hour before our competition? Thanks in advance guys, I have a feeling you'll be a big help! :D

2. mattdalton

mattdalton Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2005
    Newcastle, WA USA
    Double_G,
    I think the best thing you can do is learn to pace yourself. After you get the notes down, take a few days to practice the concert in "real time." Simulate the concert - play your parts straight through, and count out all the rests. Breaks between pieces should approximate that of the concert, too. I'm sure you get the idea. Focus on the music and the sounds you are aiming to create, and don't think about mechanics or endurance.

If you do this, you may discover where you get too tired. That's good, because it can show you where you need to be careful not to play too hard. But you may also find quickly that you really can get through the entire show if you use your head. When you do know you can make it, remember what "pace" got you through it, then be confident and transfer that feeling of pacing to the concert itself.

Hope this helps. I'm sure you'll be fine. Enjoy the show!

3. Ryan

Ryan New Friend

Jun 13, 2005
    Nebraska
    Well, just play play play and you'll build stamina. Make sure you do proper warmups and warm downs (pedal tones), and you'll be alright...

by the way, vehicle is an AWESOME song!!!

4. pmkt16

pmkt16 New Friend

Oct 24, 2004
    Chicago
    Is this a marching show?

5. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Sounds to me like it is...

Wich makes something seem a litle strange. I don't know about other areas, but here in Arizona we have 15 mins at competitions to get on the field, do our thing, and get off. And football game half times are only 12 mins long, if we stay on too long our team gets penalized.
    So just how long is your show? 9 or 10 mins, or even longer than that?

By the way, I've never heard of an improvised solo in a marching show, usualy everything in marching band is very strictly set... Seems fun.

Now for my advice:
    In a long marching show, I wouldn't worry to much about your endurace in the playing catagory. Your entire body is going to get tired faster than just your lips. Concentrate on surviveing marching the show and it should be ok, the lips will come to you after a while. If it's like most other bands, you'll over-practice maybe playing the show 2 or 3 times in rehersal, this is good because when you play it friday night or saturday for the competition... its only once, not a big deal at all!
    So concentrate on your body and the lips will come, also don't overplay the stand tunes in the first half. Tell you band director this, keep everything relaxed in the first half, then go out and play your show. Now in the second half go out there and have fun... just be careful.

Hope this helps!

6. butxifxnot

butxifxnot Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2004
    Here...
    [quote="trumpet blower88] If it's like most other bands, you'll over-practice maybe playing the show 2 or 3 times in rehersal, this is good because when you play it friday night or saturday for the competition... its only once, not a big deal at all![/quote] I'm sure you'll be used to where you should break off to last the show as you rehearse it till you are sick of it. :-)
    Yes. The biggest thing: don't blow yourself out until what matters is past.
    I'm sure you'll do great. Pacing is important, but figure out the pacing after the first 150 times of rehearsal and you'll get a better idea of what to do to play effectively.

7. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Yup, it is their marching show, the theme is "That 70's Show."

Andrew, I'm gonna kill you if you haven't improved your endurance since last year. :evil:

Van

8. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    Oh, Van my endurance has increased, but the thing is I'm hanging out above the ledger the ENTIRE show.

And, to answer turmpet blower 88: Yes, at the end of Vehicle, we hit a big note then cut. Then, either our first trumpet player our myself (jazz first trumpet) will tear it up. It was little weird when I first heard it too. But, the really strange part about the solo is that while the rest of the tune is a driving rock feel the solo goes into a jazz style lol. And our show will probably be close to 11 min. and we are pulling the whole way because our closer (Nights in White Satin) is a production in itself. I will probably have a solo in that and I know I have a duet part in it. Neither one of the part is extremely hard, nor are they incredibly easy. So, sorry for such a late reply, but thanks for hte advice.

9. pmkt16

pmkt16 New Friend

Oct 24, 2004
    Chicago
    My advice...just play. If you just work hard through all your rehearsals the endurance neccessary will get there. Also is it safe to assume that you're not the only 1st trumpet in your band? If there are others you should find spots where you can either cut out or take it down if you are really worried about not making it. Finding little shortcuts where it doesn't hurt the overall effect of the show are helpful. Does your band have summer band? and if so how long are the rehearsals? I know that whatever reservations I have about getting through the show are quickly replaced by how I'm gonna get through this rehearsal! 8 hour days for a month and a half are fun...sort of. Well at least our show rocks so it'll be worth it in the end.

10. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    Van, leave him alone!

Anyway, what I find helpful is to do a lot of long tones. And I mean Looooooooooooong tones.

Also, like said above, just keep playing through it.

Rest as much as you practice. Don't kill your chops.

Our show this year is the Blue Devil's 1990 (?) show, "Tommy". It's pretty long and most of it is above the staff for the first trumpet part. It should be a great show though!

Lara