It's going to be a long show.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Double_G, Jul 8, 2005.

1. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    I hate to tell you but Nights In White Satin is a 60's song (1967) not a 80's song.

Don't tell the musical director....

2. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    I have noticed since Van gave me my long tone routine that my endurance is improving so I know long tones work.

To 16, yes we have summer rehearsal that are 2 hours long then we have a three day pre-camp which are also about two hours of marching fundamentals, then we have a week long band camp with 12 hour days. Yeah fun.

To Gordon H, It's a 70's show and 1967 is close enough for me, plus our band directors do alt of research over our shows so are you sure your fact are correct? Not questioning you integrity just wondering.

3. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    Well, it was released in 1967, without doubt.
    I was born in 67 anbd its always in those shows they do like "Rock and Roll years"
    Plus I have the original album which is old enough to say "stereo" on it because they also did a mono version....

Anyway, the endurance thing comes easily if you end up doing a lot of this.

I run competitively and you can use some of the same tricks:

Don't practice every day. Take one or two days off per week to let your muscles recover (but not two consecutve days).
    Don't do the same work out every day, vary it (so no long distance stuff two days running).

Interval training will help you build up faster.
    How this work si you run for a minute or two much harder than you normally would, take a minute off then run again. You can push yourself much harder that way.
    You can do the same thing witht he trumpet.
    I play twice a day fairly hard for 10 to 20 minutes. This seems to have more effect than playing solidly for an hour.
    Incidentally Roy Eldridge used to keep an instrument in every room of his house, including the bathroom so he could blow for a few minutes here and there when he had nothing better to do.

4. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    oK, I'll be sure to mention that to my directors and see what they think because if I know them they have been researching this show since last year at the end of marching season so, I'll see if they have an counters for you r statement Gordon. Thanks for the information on the song and for the interval training advice. I appreciate it.