WTS: Its N-1 time: selling all my under-played trumpets and cornets

Discussion in 'Bb Trumpets' started by scottfsmith, Dec 3, 2018 at 9:49 AM.

1. scottfsmith

scottfsmith Piano User

Jul 2, 2014
    Maryland
    I am going to be listing a bunch of stuff on eBay but thought I would first put up a list here to see if anyone is interested in any of these items for a direct sale. I can add pictures on request.
    • Selmer Radial trumpet in Bb standard bore 1960's, no dents or repairs or rots, a few dings, raw brass ... $550.
    • Selmer Paris 24B circa 1952 - this one I already listed, https://www.ebay.com/itm/202522141848
    • Selmer Paris 20 circa 1954 - In very good condition with no dents or repairs and most of the lacquer on, except one valve is messed up due to getting stuck and fixed in a poor manner. It still plays well in spite of an ugly-looking valve. $300.
    Now for some cornets. All of these are A440 and in Bb unless noted.
    • Meredith Open Tone cornet 44XX - in good shape, includes case. The leadpipe was damaged but Robb Stewart did a great job fixing it up. He also did a general overhaul of it. $600.
    • Courtois Arban cornets circa 1880 - I have several of these for sale as they are my favorite cornet and I bought a bunch. I'm still keeping my favorite one. The price varies from $150-600 depending on condition.
    • Conn Perfected Wonder 104XXX Bb/A with mechanism - this very cool cornet you just yank on the tuning slide and it will adjust all the slides from Bb to A position and back. A brilliant design. I got a broken tuning slide fixed on it but it still has some dents on the bell crook I never got fixed. $250.
    • Boston Instrument Co., one long and one short model cornet. These both are in very good condition with original cases and were fixed up by Robb Stewart. $800 long and $600 short.
    • Conn 16A slide cornet already on eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/202522726617
    • King slide cornet - I've never seen another one of these so I'm probably going to list it on eBay to see what its worth. I'll let it go for $750 pre-eBay.
    • Halari cornet in nickel, 1880 or so. A nice old French cornet. $150.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018 at 10:24 PM
  2. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    KC MO
  3. scottfsmith

scottfsmith Piano User

Jul 2, 2014
    Maryland
    Pix sent!

Edit: Radial is sold!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018 at 10:25 PM
  4. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    KC MO
    :) Thanks (BTW Scott is super to work with). Some other great horns he is selling. Grab them while you can!

scottfsmith likes this.
  5. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Was Colorado...now Utah
    How would you say the 24B plays compared to a Radial? I own a Radial, so my interest is picqued.

6. scottfsmith

scottfsmith Piano User

Jul 2, 2014
    Maryland
    The 24B is a lot tighter and more solid on the slotting, its a rock. The radial has a richer sound and is a bit easier to get the notes out. Overall I much prefer the radial, its an awesome horn and I'm sad to see it go. It just was too similar to my Edwards to make it worth keeping. I also prefer the 20 to the 24B. the 20 has a more conical leadpipe. And, I prefer the radial to the 20.

7. scottfsmith

scottfsmith Piano User

Jul 2, 2014
    Maryland
    Someone asked for pictures, so I uploaded a bunch of hi-res pictures of all these instruments. Go to http://slant.com/instruments for a look.

Here are a few highlights.. Selmer 20

DSC08647.jpg

Conn Perfected Wonder with mechanism:
    Conn.jpg

Halari French wrap circa 1880:

Halari.jpg

One of the Courtois Arban cornets:

Arban 1.jpg

Boston short model:

BS.jpg