"It's never too late to be what you might have become!"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpettrax, Oct 24, 2006.

1. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    I'm sitting here tonight "working" and listining to some old Chuck Mangione music. Some of his stuff make me very emotional. Anyway, it just brought back this quote that Kinghornplayer was using in his address. This may sound silly, but man, has this quote made an impact on my life! I see this quote along with my teacher telling me "you can do it, what's holding you back", listening to some Chuck Mangione and wow, I think I can conquer the world. I'm really starting to SEE some improvements in my playing and during my lessons. It is really a great feeling! :)

I LOVE PLAYING THE TRUMPET!!!!!!!!

Trax

p.s. thanks Kinghornplayer for posting that quote!

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I had a wonderful brass quintet rehearsal this past weekend and feel the same way! Just don't forget: it is almost always 2 steps forward and then you slide one back. The next 2 steps forward keep coming - that is the beauty!

3. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Trax,

Wow I'm deeply flattered. Thank you for your kind words. Never did I ever think that anyone would say that I've inspired them in any way, shape, or form when it came to the trumpet world. I'm speechless! :shock:

That quote inspired me and that's why I put it out there. It is one of the simplest and most powerful statements I've ever heard at a commencement speech for a College.

And now another quote that pertains specifically to me but may be relevant, "Stop mourning the past! You're going to be a far better player then you ever were." - Alex Yates my trumpet master!

Put the two together and you have a recipe for success that can be achieved with some honest to goodness work!

Thanks Trax, and keep tootin'

John

4. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Yep, I like both of those quotes. It really never is too late to be what you might have been. Thanks to a great teacher I've improved tremendously this last year. Given another couple of years with him and I'll likely be a very good orchestral player. The thing is, that's something you're supposed to do when your 20, not 45!

5. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think it is even more special when you make the discovery at 45. Real goals, short, medium and long term to work toward. How many people at 45 stop developing? Probably quite a few...........

6. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit

Amen!

I picked it back up after 21 years at the age of 36 and I swear I absorb more now in a shorter amount of time then I did when I was a kid.

I think that older/wiser is a real thing and used wisely can benefit anyone.

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Yep. I picked up a trumpet shortly after my 50th birthday with the belief that I still had 50 years to learn how to play it.

(and I am unanimous in that belief)

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    "It's never too late to be what you might have become!"

Sometimes it's better if we aren't what we might have become.

And, yes, it can be too late, depending on what your goal is. Sorry for the injection of realism (or pessimism, as my wife calls it).:cool:

Now to work! I know I'm 54 and can't swim very well, but the Summer Olympics are approaching, and it's never too late! Right?????:oops:

9. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It IS never too late!
    Summer olympic - yep, I'll be participating - on the couch - with my silent brass mute trying to further tune what I already have become.
    I'll bet my high C gets to the finish line faster than ANY 100 yard runner.......

10. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Yea, I was watching the Olympics while walking the tread mill and it was hummin hot and fast. Oh! This is a trumpet forum.

When I was studying with Bernard A. in Oberlin College, he mentioned to me that I have a sound that many pros are fighting for. This was during a time that I had no "working" concept of sound. In fact, I did not even know that there was such a thing. Presently, I develped a very strong concept of sound and the sound is very much better than it was in college. I also now have a Taylor trumpet.

In the view of some realism as someone mentioned, I have this terrific sound but the opportunities for using it seems to be much less than when I was in college. You don't think it has anything to do with age, do you? Maybe it is just my "huskaka". ;-)

Liad Bar-EL

Last edited: Oct 25, 2006