It's summer, and I have no music. What do I do?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rainiac, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I can't imagine a trumpet player without an Arban's book. There's enough in there to keep anyone busy a week or two...:lol:

2. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I want to say I agree with this highly. I mean, I'm new, and NOT a good player yet but I doing silly stuff like figuring out the guitar parts in "Free Bird" hehe so when someone tells me, "Play Free Bird!" I will (But if someone says I'm playing a copyrighted song I"m gonna say, "No, Im playing "Freburg", dedicated to the comedian Stan Freburg" so I have to make up lyrics for that). Honestly, start out with Xmas carols or little-kid-time songs, there's nothing wrong with playing "Jingle Bells" in July or "This Old Man" even if you are one.

3. Rainiac

Rainiac New Friend

Apr 2, 2009
    Earth. For sure.
    Thanks very much everybody, all excellent suggestions. I don't go to church, but I live in a small town, and I'm sure one the pastor here will lend me a hymnbook. And, ya, playing for the people there would be an excellent way to get used to playing in front of people, I really like that idea. I'm actually planning to go to the library in the next city over, I'm definitely going to pick up a few music books. Thanks again everybody :)

4. SessionCat

SessionCat New Friend

Oct 17, 2005
    Music? What's that?
    Just jam to the song playing in your head! Make something up.

I've never understood those people who require having printed notation in front of them, and some otherwise good musicians can't seem to play a single decent note without it: take the sheet music away and they turn into instant 3-year-olds with zero improvisational skills.

No written music is no excuse: the music is inside you (and if it's not, maybe you're in the wrong business.... i'm just sayin')

Peace! ;^)

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Hey, I resemble that remark!:lol:

The converse is also frequently true when a technical piece is laid down in front of a jazzer...and then there are those few who can do both very well.

6. Doctor Squeak

Doctor Squeak Pianissimo User

Jul 30, 2010
    lol!

7. Weevie

Weevie New Friend

May 31, 2010
    Gloucestershire, UK
    I'm currently having an amazing time with "The Jazz Method for Trumpet" by John O'Neill. It will be wonderful for developing my Jazz chops, but I'm not really that far on yet. I think this will be great for non-Jazzers as well because it is quite technical. I've just spent the last 3 weeks playing some neat little tunes, only to realise that I've just been beefing up lip slurs. Hard work shouldn't be this much fun!

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    .... or hop into a secondhand book shop - go to the religion section rather than the music section and buy a hymn book - it will be cheaper for you, and God probably won't mind if you do justice to his music. God is here, he is just different for each of us - this I believe.