It's Working!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by commakozzi, Feb 21, 2008.

1. commakozzi

commakozzi Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    Yeah, that's what I meant if you were asking me.

2. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    Its funny how lips, range and endurance are different for everyone. I am playing 2 hrs per day. I can handle more, but after a few days I begin to overwork. The Etudes I am working on are out of Sigmund Herings 32 Etudes. Fairly easy, mostly in the staff work. But still not easy to play well.

I usually have trouble being to loud, doing to much, and not thinking enough. There are 2 trumpets in our band. I can play right up to a Double F#, Nice sound. The other trumpet can't. He is just plain solid to about a D above the staff.

However I depend on him. I'm done, nothing left and have to drop out for a few bars. He is solid. 4 hrs into the gig and I am toast, he is solid. He can't play above a D at all. But he can play all night and again the next day. I'd like to have half his endurance.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    the secret to endurance is building the right habits and NOT beating yourself up. Our faces do not work like a body builders arms or legs. We need to maintain a great deal of sensitivity as well as building endurance. That just takes more time than 30 inch biceps.
    Commakozzi and Miyot, keep the faith, you will get there - one step at a time!

4. BlackWhite

BlackWhite Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    Thans to those who have givn me advice.
    I'll try to work on those,hope they help.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    BlackWhite,
    you have been given KNOWLEDGE. You do not need to "hope". This stuff works, it is dependent on YOUR dedication.
    Remember, there is a whole lot more to playing than we could EVER figure out by ourselves. A great teacher can get you on the road to success very quickly if you have a burning desire to do so.
    The worst thing is trying to figure out how little one can get away with to reach a certain level of proficiency. You need to want it ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. TopGun

TopGun Pianissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Great point. I remember as a kid watching my teacher play in the upper register and thinking my chops will never be strong enough to take that much pressure for very long. It took me a couple years to realize he was never using that much pressure. The strength has less to do with it than the approach.

7. BlackWhite

BlackWhite Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    What I meant by I hope was that I actually do it right,but anyways,in that sense,of course it will work.

8. tony h

tony h Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2008
    Im finding the soft playing is improving my high pitch,
    making it easer to play........ less effort .