I've been told I'm not allowed to practise...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpetplayer24, Jul 31, 2013.

1. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    What's your dad's take on your brother's practice? Or, doesn't he practice?

2. Trumpetplayer24

Trumpetplayer24 Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2013
    UK
    He doesn't practise much, maybe 10 minutes a day. But he's only been playing for a year. It's annoying when I get told to stop practising because its too late and my brother starts playing 10 minutes later, dad doesn't seem to have a problem with this...

3. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    Sounds like there may be some other issues going on here.

4. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    Sexism?

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    IMA, gzent's advice is right on. If you are serious about this you need to put some of your creative energy into finding a solution.

6. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I too have found the YSB to be very useful but maybe not for the same reasons. I does provide for practicing without disturbing anyone else (I am blessed to live on 40 acres and can just walk out the front door or go to the barn, the neighbors don't complain) but I have one of the older systems, the one that lets you have 2 mutes & 2 sets of headphones (good ones of course, I use bose) and my setup has an AC adapter so I don't have to use batteries. The main thing I use my YSB for is to run the headphone output from my computer into the AUX input of my YSB, I then can play anything on my computer and play along with it and mix the 2 into my headphones. I find it a great help in learning to play by ear and improv.

7. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    As a church minister I would second that idea.

8. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    Time to start going to church then, and build up such contacts (as well as your soul) :-).

9. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    @churchman and OP... The biggest benefit I had with picking my trumpet up again was someone at church immediately saying play with the brass quintet which then meant practicing either on a Wednesday or after church and then performing on Sundays. It built in extra practice time and with other players which increases your musical ability versus just playing at home solo. It also increased my live performance experience.

10. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    AMEN

If you don't know anyone at a church might I be so presumptuous as to suggest you might want to get to know someone there. This could also provide another playing opportunity by playing your horn at church on Sunday mornings, it could also lead to other opportunities such as weddings and funerals (not necessarily the most desiring thing to play for but can be a real blessing tho the family)