I've been told I'm not allowed to practise...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpetplayer24, Jul 31, 2013.

1. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Hi. IMO the Yamaha silent mute is V good i use one on warm nites (not often in the UK) when the windows are open i also take it on holiday. Draw back is batteries dont last for ever, good points are you can plug a metronome in or backing tracks, and ....it will strengthen your arms :)

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I love my Yamaha silent brass mute. I use it when I am on the road in hotels. As for playing, when I am banished or in an experimental mode, I do really love playing in the garage. I can also find a hall out of the way at work where I am not bothered, so I am not sure this is an option for you either.

3. Trumpetplayer24

Trumpetplayer24 Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2013
    UK
    Unfortunately my garage is attached to our house and I work in a very small office! haha

4. NFS_87

NFS_87 Pianissimo User

Jan 25, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Imagine how hard it will be to go to college "just to practice" (for music). I have to say where there's a will, there's a way, if you really want to do this you'll make it happen. The church suggestion is excellent, as it going to a park and playing in your car. The Yamaha system works very well for what it does, but I wouldn't want to only practice with it, you need some open playing time as well. How about a storage closet at work?

In a few years time you could look back and say either "I had a lot of obstacles to overcome to become the player I am today, even having to practice in my car during lunch while I was at work." or you'll still be looking for someplace to practice...

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Interesting as I do have an attached garage, and the sound seems not to bleed into the house.

6. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    It is your parents house and that rules....but take the advice posted above and find somewhere else to practice, garage, school, church, etc.

7. jmberinger

jmberinger Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2007
    Long Beach, California
    For the last six months I have practiced at night at a local underground garage. It is well lighted, I leave my chair, and I made sure that everyone knows what I am doing. Previously I used a underground garage after making arrangements with the security guard (I gave him tickets for the family when I play somewhere). Both are by an airport, and I respect the working time of the surrounding businesses.

I have also used the local City College, mostly over summer break, but also on campus after classes are out in the evening. That took meeting with the security team, but then again they would check on me when it was late at night.

8. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Is there anybody at the office after hours? To avoid annoying my family or waking my son I regularly play for a couple of hours in the evening at my employer's offices. There is a boardroom there which has nice acoustics too.

--bumblebee

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Lots of great advise .. I would re-read Gzents twice...
    but I would suggest taking on chores around the house... and having an open discussion about this.

10. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    True, what I keep hearing is a lot of excuses, a lot of reasons why you can't find a solution. If you are to go into music, or the real world for that matter, no one gives a rat's a** about why you cannot do something, the expectation is that you just get things done.

If there's a will, there's a way. If you want something enough, you'll find a way. Just take a walk in your neighborhood and knock on some church doors. They're not likely to bite your head off, and the worst that'll happen is that they'll say that they cannot help you.