I've been told I'm not allowed to practise...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpetplayer24, Jul 31, 2013.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Preach it Brother!!! I practice in my truck with a 10' hose "trumpet". I also use a Silent brass system, and a Bach practice mute, and a B.E.R.P., and a pocket trumpet for extended rain delays like today (2 hrs) and keep a hymnal handy so I have hundreds of songs to choose from. In other words, I LOVE PLAYING TRUMPET AND I FIND A WAY TO PLAY! I also have a garage and a shed...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  2. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    when I lived in an apartment I used to put the bell of my horn in a heavy coat in the closet to muffle the sound. No extra back pressure and the neighbors never complained.

3. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I found my garage a great place to practice early in the morning. I had a manual labor job one summer and would literally practice at 6 in the morning. I'm not that crazy now, but you do what you have to do. I met a man in South Korea that built his own soundproof studio. With modern technology you can add the reverb in and literally mimic a live environment. I used to practice in one of our chapels. It was perfect because there were so many rooms available! Maybe if you offer your services to a church, like say a concert for Christmas and Easter, they'll help you out.

I have always wanted to try a Morrison Digital Trumpet. No acoustic sound at all.

4. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    Compromise. Use a mute for most of your practice, especially when running scales, repetitive patterns, flexibility exercises, and all the annoying things that you need to do, and then take the mute out when you're going actually play a piece of music.

5. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I'm not keen on the "Man Up and find something" advice, but there are other good suggestions on here, what part of the UK are you from. There may be a brass band locally who will let you have access to their band room (of course you might end up in the band on cornet but that is no bad thing and don't tell me you don't have a cornet the band will have on if you are serious with them) Ask around, is there a local uni you might be able to borrow a practice room. The Church has been menitoned and think of that in the most wide sense (chapels church halls etc. It may be that in return you have to play in a few services but again where is the harm in that.

I also think you need to have a serious talk with your Father, Calmly and quietly without shouting and mouthing off (either of you). You will need family support if you achieve your dream of music school, ask the question why and do not take "because I said so" as an answer, politely point out that your career path means you have to practice. It could be that he thinks you are not going to make it and he is protecting you in his own way.

At the standard you are at you could teach a few beginers get some cash in show your father that there is a way forward even if as a worst case scenario you have teaching music as a back up plan.

6. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    I would tend to agree with Cornyandy and his sensible advice.

However, it is true that it is hard sometimes in the UK to find suitable practice places. This might in part be because the "trumpet scene" is not as embedded in our culture as it seems to be in the US for example: there are fewer school bands etc,. But you are obviously very keen to play and I think that we all respect that.

The truth is though that playing at home, with other family and neighbours around can be irritating for them and no matter how keen you are, you do need to have some consideration for them too.

Could I suggest a compromise of buying a YSM (or in the house I use a Humes & Berg Swish Wah mute which keeps the volume down but still lets you hear the intonation) and use it for some of your practice - perhaps 2 nights a week.

Talk to your Dad and see if he will agree to you playing one or two nights a week without the mute for 2 hours and if he agrees, stick to to the time frame to buy some more goodwill.

Finally I know that it is hard, but do have a look for a local place to play for the other couple of nights / Saturday mornings / Sunday afternoons in the week. There might be a local band around (although to be fair you would probably know about it already), a school hall, a church hall, the local scout hut, - you might have to offer to pay a nominal hire charge: maybe someone you know runs a local business on an industrial estate and would let you play there after work for an hour? If you have a garden can you use the shed or get a cheap shed put in there?

Better still see if there is a local Salvation Army near as they "understand" about playing brass and might have a suggestion, or do a search for local brass teachers, call as many as you can and see whether they can suggest somewhere to practice for a couple of nights a week or give you some better options or ideas. If all else fails (and if you have a car) do what I did for the first year or so of my playing and practice at lunch time in the car in a nearby car park -you get some funny looks, but it is better than falling out with your Dad and not playing.

It will be a pain to sort out and you will get lots of people saying that "No" they can't help, but I promise you there is somewhere that you can practice out loud for a few hours a week, you just need to think a little bit sideways and find it.

It won't be perfect, but it will do until you find a better solution.
    Good luck. :thumbsup:

7. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    I do a lot of CAR practicing...before work, on lunch hour, after work...find some quiet parking lots or spots with nice scenery.
    I travel a lot for work and parking garages of hotels work just fine in the car.

Second to that and the last resort is my Silent Brass. YES, it has drawbacks....but not as big a drawback as not practicing at all.
    My instructor went on a diatribe about the negatives with SB.....but if you take it for what it is, and for the fact that you still get to play your horn....

Get good headphones, and try to save any 'play along' practice you might have for it as the music can minimize the not optimal sound from the horn.
    I also tend to do more scales/technical work when i am stuck with Silent Brass as my only option, since solo playing just isn't as pretty.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I will say the Silent brass system is very good at making it quiet. I use it, the mute part, to warm-up while the pastor is speaking. He has never said a thing to me cause he doesn't hear it. The trombone player can't hear it, and he is standing beside me! It will add back-pressure so you will have to play soft to compensate. Playing softly is a good thing anyway.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

gmonady likes this.
  10. Juarez-MA

Juarez-MA Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2012
    I vote for this idea. There are many contraptions you can use to not be an inconvenience.
    The overtone series of brass instruments might be simpler than woodwinds and strings, but it is still complex enough that having nice acoustics is better than silencing your practice.
    Unfortunately, you may bare ill will towards your father someday when you make big accomplishments in music especially if that's when he has a change of heart.